This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Who should be ordained?

re: Ordination of Women?

Postby AllanS » September 12th, 2006, 1:19 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Adam Linton » September 12th, 2006, 2:28 am

Not for debate, but just for information:

The problem with the word "priest" in the English language is that while it is actually derived from the Greek "presbyteros," i.e., "elder" (from which "presbyter" also comes, more directly), we also now use it to render the Greek "iereos," i.e., "priest" in the sense used in the Old Testament, which Christians have understood to be perfectly fulfilled in Jesus Christ [see Letter to the Hebrews] -- and in which all those in Christ share by virtue of their life in him (that is, the "royal priesthood," mentioned above).

Usages began to be somewhat merged by the Middle-Ages, to be sure, but in its first sense, "priest" simply designated the second of the three traditional orders of ordained service: episcopos (i.e., bishop), presbyteros, (i.e., presbyter/priest), and diaconos (i.e., deacon).

This is probably more than anyone wanted or needed, but here it is...

If I had my way, I'd probably restore the use of "presbyter," for clarity's sake.

Regards,

Adam L.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 12th, 2006, 3:08 am

Most helpful, Adam.

Now how do you define the roles of those presbyters? Does it really take a presbyter to properly consecrate the bread and wine of the Eucharist? Who says so? And why? On what grounds or evidence?
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Sven » September 12th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Boromir » September 13th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 13th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Last edited by Sarah N. on September 13th, 2006, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Aleena » September 13th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Knighted Dame Aleena of the order of countdown correctors. Appointed Steward of the Countdown until the King's return.
Standing with Israel, always.
Aleena
Wardrobian

re: Who should be ordained?

Postby Sven » September 13th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: re: Ordination of Women?

Postby loeee » September 13th, 2006, 11:20 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 13th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Pick a Cardinal. Any Cardinal.

Now who has exercised more influence over the Church? That Cardinal in his palace or Mother Theresa in her slum?

Did Theresa feel she needed to be a Cardinal too? Did she feel under-valued and discriminated against on the basis of gender? Did she secretly resent the Vatican's "glass ceiling" that stopped her achieving her full potential as a modern, liberated woman?

Why do so many people swallow this feminist swill? Theresa just got on with the job. That's why she's a Saint and the Cardinal (more than likely) is just another high-ranking bureaucrat.

AllanS

Postby Kolbitar » September 14th, 2006, 12:44 am

::What I can't swallow, however, is that "Priests" have any spiritual power or authority that is denied the rank and file. If someone told me their sins and I replied "Your sins are forgiven in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost", how would that be different to a Priest hearing that confession?

Hi Allan. First off, I'd like to be sure you're aware of the fact that Catholics believe confession is a Sacrament. In other words, we believe that when you are confessing, you're confessing to Christ who is there sacramentally through the Priest; when the Priest absolves you, Christ Himself is speaking through the vocal chords of that Priest.

This is the same with a sacrifice, with the sacrifice of the Mass. All of us, rank and file included, are participating in the sacrifice, in calling the presence of Jesus forward, in making His sacrifice present, and offering it to God. The Priest, in essence, is our servant...

Sorry, I'm in a hurry so forgive the somewhat sporadic, untidy response... I'm more throwing out bits for you to ponder and respond to...

P.S. Don't forget what Chesterton called the twin needs for formality and festivity, and what Lewis said about those of us not necessarily given to feel desires commonly found among the masses of "rank and file" -- the true religion makes the clear participate in the thick, and the thick participate in the clear :-)
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 14th, 2006, 9:49 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » September 14th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » September 14th, 2006, 6:54 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 14th, 2006, 9:30 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy