This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Pregnancy from rape

Pregnancy from rape

Postby Mavramorn » September 18th, 2006, 3:46 pm

This is an issue that continues to perplex me. I would like to kow what you all think. What I'm talking about is the scenario where a woman is raped and becomes pregnant as a result. What is to be done with the child? I am firmly of the position that it should not be aborted. But the issue raises some very interesting (not to mention, disturbing) questions. For instance, if a human being, just like us, can be made by such a violent and brutal act, then what does this say about us? Its a staggering thought, isn't it?, that someone's life can be the direct result of a rape. I've often wondered, how would I feel if I found out I was concieved as a result of my mother being raped? What would God have to say to such a person?
"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby JRosemary » September 18th, 2006, 4:12 pm

I always find abortion to be a complicated issue. I'm against it, but if the mother's health--and that includes mental health--is in danger from the pregnancy, I don't think anyone has the right to tell that woman not to have one. This is one of the reasons I usually end up voting pro-choice.

A cousin of mine got pregnant from a rape. There's no way to judge someone who's been through that--whatever decision she makes. You remember that either choice--the choice to have an abortion or not to have one--will be devastating. And you do your best to support her.

If the woman in that situation has the child, it's impossible to figure out how that child will feel when they learn the circumstances of their birth. But the mother can tell them that, despite those circumstances, she truly wanted the child and is glad that such a wonderful blessing came out of such an awful experience.

Or, if the mother decides to give the child up for adoption, two people who desperately wanted a child may become the parents--and they would always be grateful for the child and the blessing in their lives.

I think all children should be welcomed with love into this world, regardless of whether they were the result of a stable marriage, a rocky marriage, a one-night fling...whatever.
Last edited by JRosemary on September 18th, 2006, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » September 18th, 2006, 4:19 pm

I'm not going to get into the pro-against abortion aspect of this question, but I just want tp put in that there's always someone out there who will want to raise and love that baby, who won't care how he or she was conceived.
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 18th, 2006, 4:26 pm

No matter how the child is conceived, murder is always wrong.

I had a friend in Mexico who became pregnant when she was raped, and she kept the child. She's married to a sweet Christian guy who adopted her first child, and they have another child now too.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 18th, 2006, 4:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » September 18th, 2006, 6:09 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby Leslie » September 19th, 2006, 1:20 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby hana » September 19th, 2006, 3:54 am

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 19th, 2006, 4:25 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » September 19th, 2006, 4:37 pm

"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 19th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » September 20th, 2006, 1:29 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Re: re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby Guinea-Pig » September 20th, 2006, 3:46 pm

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
-C. S. Lewis
Guinea-Pig
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » September 20th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » September 24th, 2006, 8:54 pm

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy