This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Mark of the beast?

Mark of the beast?

Postby Mavramorn » September 22nd, 2006, 1:06 am

"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

re: Mark of the beast?

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 2:45 am

In the multiple number of Greek manuscripts of the book of revelation, there are two different numbers stated as the mark of the beast: 606 and 666. There is only one explanation which accounts for the variation, and which also provides a contextual answer: in Hebrew numerology (rather than Roman or Arabic numerals), the name Caesar Nero has a combined value of either 606 or 666, depending on how you write the name in Greek. This is why the text says "the mark: that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name."

The entire book of revelation is a subversive religious and political tract against the Roman Empire, disguised in Jewish mythology and allegory. In fact, whenever the author says "this calls for wisdom: let him who has understanding," it is a rhetorical cue to indicate allegorical meaning.

So, while this microchip or any particular invention of an increasingly authoritarian government may be disturbing, it is not the fulfillment of a prophecy: Revelation was a letter to the churches of Asia minor, and to the extent that it was an accurate foretelling, the empire to which it referred collapsed a long time ago.
"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » September 22nd, 2006, 7:04 am

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Re: re: Mark of the beast?

Postby Theo » September 22nd, 2006, 7:21 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » September 22nd, 2006, 8:38 am

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » September 22nd, 2006, 1:01 pm

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » September 22nd, 2006, 3:40 pm

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby Adam » September 23rd, 2006, 12:01 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » September 23rd, 2006, 1:08 am

"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 23rd, 2006, 6:12 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 23rd, 2006, 7:54 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 23rd, 2006, 8:28 am

Last edited by Adam on September 23rd, 2006, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 23rd, 2006, 8:34 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 23rd, 2006, 8:57 am

Fine, then, if you have facts that prove that Nero was the person indicated by 666, then, by all means, give them instead of saying "this is the way it is and it's been known to be this way (by scholars, yet) for a long time.

I said that if Nero was the guy, the Christian community would have been the first to mention it as soon as the heat was off - best I can tell, they didn't.

Adam, you keep dropping names (in fact, not even that. You just say that some nebulous "everybody" knows - it's not even honest name-dropping) and I've read the theories and am not impressed. If you're going to use expert testimony in a debate, you've got to validate that testimony first and you're not doing that. I'm not obliged to accept your sources just because you say so. Especially when you're not even naming your sources.

It would be perfectly reasonable for you to say, "I believe thus-and-so and this is why," but the only reason I can imagine anyone letting you get away with your, "I believe this and I'm right and everybody that is somebody believes the same way because it's established fact," is that they just happen to have the same opinions.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 23rd, 2006, 9:05 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy