This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Have you actually read it?

23%
23%
19%
35%

Total votes : 26

Have you actually read it?

Postby robsia » November 4th, 2006, 10:37 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 5th, 2006, 2:38 pm

I've read some of it, not all. I am for evolution but I didn't vote as I can't honestly say 'I have read it' but at the same time, like I said, I have read some of it :).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: Have you actually read it?

Postby Kolbitar » November 5th, 2006, 5:39 pm

I, being agnostic on the issue and having never, myself, read Darwins work, never the less lean toward being for evolution based on what I know and what I was taught (though I remember very little). However, though I tend toward evolution I emphatically stand against Darwins conception of our origins in so far as it makes the difference of man and animal merely one of degree and not of kind -- a conception, by the way, which he notes in The Descent of Man.
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » November 5th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I take it we're talking about human evolution, since as far as I'm aware the process has actually been seen at work among the lower forms of life.

I'm not sure if humans evolved or not and haven't read the literature on either side. It's not a huge issue for me at the moment as it's quite peripheral in terms of the outliving of my faith. when i have more time and energy i will probably look into it for curiosity's sake.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 5th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Dave I remember when you and I and Antti went round that dinosaur exhibit at Blackpool tower which spoke of the origins of the earth, you once or twice looked fairly doubtful :D
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 6th, 2006, 12:16 am

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » November 6th, 2006, 1:29 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » November 6th, 2006, 2:56 am

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » November 6th, 2006, 4:41 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Pastafarian » November 7th, 2006, 8:40 pm

I see evolution as being as close to fact as an explanation can get. I haven't read The Origin of Species, though.

I'm quite the dilettante in this area, but I don't think The Origin of Species broke the news on evolution. I think it broke the news on natural selection. In fact, the real title is On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. I think evolution was a well-known process by the time The Origin of Species was published.

I just searched the text of the book...
http://www.literature.org/authors/darwi ... f-species/
...and I only found only one mention of any form of the word "evolve." It's not "evolution." It's "evolved," and it's the last word in the book.
Pastafarian
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 7th, 2006, 8:59 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby hana » November 8th, 2006, 4:38 am

I've read the book, but only because I was assigned it in school, so small glory to me. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, though.

I do believe in a good deal of Darwinian evolution, but I also take Genesis 1-3 as more than allegory; ie, I do believe God made man out of dust.

Is Darwin's work the "Bible" of evolutionists still?

Has anyone else read David Quammen? (Natural Acts, The Song of the Dodo)
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Pastafarian » November 8th, 2006, 4:49 am

Pastafarian
Wardrobian

Postby wingedllama » November 8th, 2006, 6:26 am

I have not read the book, but I would like to someday. I've learned about natural selection in school and in other books, and have always been convinced of it.

I don't at all feel that evolution threatens my faith. I believe that science and religion ask different questions about the cosmos, and properly understood they do not conflict.
Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » November 8th, 2006, 10:43 pm

David Jack
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy