This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Letter to an Atheist

Letter to an Atheist

Postby Adam » November 25th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Re: Letter to an Atheist

Postby Kolbitar » November 26th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Adam, thanks for sharing that. This was particularly well put:

"But I cannot understand the malice one needs to delight in such a fate and the pride one needs to celebrate their own certainty of it, as though one were happy and proud to have witnessed first-hand a murder."

If we grant the Atheist's reality, it is his reality which has caused the love which we cannot help but express through our pursuit -- he then faults us for doing so...

He is, essentially, condemning his own reality isn't he?
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Re: Letter to an Atheist

Postby Adam » November 26th, 2006, 11:46 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 27th, 2006, 12:25 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Letter to anyone who likes to receive mail

Postby Jinksy » November 27th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Jinksy

Postby Karen » November 27th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Pastafarian » November 27th, 2006, 11:14 pm

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. -Woody Allen
Pastafarian
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » November 27th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Re: Letter to anyone who likes to receive mail

Postby Adam » November 28th, 2006, 2:16 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Pastafarian » November 28th, 2006, 3:02 am

I'm saury, Karen. When I treat you so roughy, I really hake myself.
:sad:
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. -Woody Allen
Pastafarian
Wardrobian

Postby Pastafarian » November 28th, 2006, 3:35 am

Adam, Jinksy's post makes no sense to me. I take it as a comment on your OP. I don't understand your posts any more than I understand Jinksy's. All three posts come across to me as word salad. Maybe word cole slaw is more apt.

Religion is a language? God is a language? The Church may be "Dr. Seus"? You suggest Jinksy should use "simple reasoning"? And what does his post have to do with figuralism?

Call me a clueless noob, too, but you certainly lost me.
Pastafarian
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » November 28th, 2006, 4:00 am

I think I have to agree with Pasta on this one. I didn't get that post either. I didn't even try past the first three paragraphs the first time. I thought I was with you in the first sentence, because I understand needing another language with that of logic and reason (wrote a lot on that in the tread about Truth), but then you lost me. However, on a fourth, more careful reading, I think there is something there. I may not get it, but that doesn't mean that what you are trying to express is lame. Indeed, the difficulty of expressing it clearly may be a testament to it's depth. Or, it could just be word salad, as Pasta said.

For what it's worth, I don't think all atheists delight in the demise of faith.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » November 28th, 2006, 5:42 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » November 28th, 2006, 5:43 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » November 28th, 2006, 6:28 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian