This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

All Europeans have one common African ancestor?

Re: re: All Europeans have one common African ancestor?

Postby Leslie » September 11th, 2006, 12:03 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Lewis's belief in a cosmic Fall

Postby larry gilman » September 16th, 2006, 6:50 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

re: All Europeans have one common African ancestor?

Postby Leslie » September 16th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » September 23rd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Hi, Leslie:

Yes, Lewis's thinking is peculiar on the fabric of Nature. At least he used words like "may" in his published writings, admitting that he was speculating. For myself, it seems highly suggestive from a Christian viewpoint, though of course utterly mysterious, that all the forms of life are woven from a billion threads of birth and death. We would literally not exist as human beings, nor would any complex plant or animal exist, if our ancestors---all the way back to microorganisms---had not been born and died in a certain pattern. That's the fact of evolution. Suffering was involved throughout, or at least has been ever since some form of pain-feeling sentience appeared. But in what do we participate in the Christian story if not in creation through birth, suffering, death, and rebirth? Deep waters here---but then, if they were manifestly shallow, I'd be depressed . . .

Re. Wendell Berry: I've already mentioned Life is a Miracle, a brilliant reply to quasi-scientific reductionism. His master-work is The Unsettling of America, which made a major change in my ways of thinking when I read it. It's not explicitly theological, but is about "culture and agriculture" as the subtitle has it. Oddly, I have yet to read any of his poetry or novels. Is there a volume of poems you particularly like?

Best wishes,

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 24th, 2006, 12:19 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Lewis 's conflicted feelings about Nature

Postby larry gilman » September 24th, 2006, 9:31 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 25th, 2006, 2:56 am

I think Lewis was a man of his times and, although it seems to me thathe loathed the Industrial Reolution, it was still very much a part of him so that nature was an enemy to be conquered.

I don't fault people for interpreting the Bible nonliterally. I do fault them for disregarding the possibility that it can be validly taken to be literal. Lewis had problems with the scorching hate expressed in the Psalms. I would also if I forgot that most of the psalms are personal expressions of worship and praise - and other things. This is the Bible being brutally honest. Much of the horrible sounding stuff also works on a diferent level as prophesy.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 25th, 2006, 3:55 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 25th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 25th, 2006, 6:06 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » September 25th, 2006, 10:00 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 26th, 2006, 2:29 am

Stanley, how do you know that Jesus had a problem with nudity? And He was Baptised, not because any personal (or inherited) sin but to fullfill all righteousness - not specifically His own. It's pretty typical in Christian belief that Jesus lived a sinless life. And I think the other things are quite explainabe, also (in fact the Bible does explain most of them.)
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 26th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 26th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 26th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy