This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic view on modern heretics

re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby Josh » May 16th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Last edited by Josh on May 17th, 2006, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 16th, 2006, 11:12 pm

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Re: re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby Adam » May 16th, 2006, 11:37 pm

::Adam, if everything had been covered in the Old Testament, there would have been no need for te New Testament. As it is, to fully understand afterlife, you'd really need a good example - that didn't happen until Jesus rose from the dead.

You missed my point completely.

You have to reject literal interpretation and accept figural interpretation in order to believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ, according to Scripture.

The apostles were convinced that this was good and right because the resurrection convinced them that He must have been the messiah, evidence more important than how they understood the Scripture and which actually dictated how they understood it henceforth.

Any Christian who abhors figural interpretation and pretends to uphold literal intepretation is simply ignorant.

But if it makes you feel any better, I do believe you are actually sincerely convinced that your interpretation is objective and unbiased, but of course there are plenty of 21st century Americans who think that they understand Scripture better than 1st century Jews, which would be funny if it weren't so dangerous.
"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 17th, 2006, 1:01 am

If I dig a hole in my back yard and a burglar falls in a breaks his leg, he can sue me for negligence.

If a pit of eternal torment (quite invisible to me) lies but a breath away from us all, and for thousands of years, God breathed narry a word of it to his chosen and beloved people, I'd call that criminal negligence of cosmic proportions. In fact, it simply doesn't sound like God at all.

In the same way, if a person came up to me and said he'd had heard (or read in a book) that my old dad was actually a cannibal, I'd have to say that it didn't sound like my dad at all.

What does it mean to hear God's voice? It means there are other voices raised loudly in competition, all claiming to be God but saying things that simply don't sound right.

If the voice of the Church is compromised, being both the bleating of sheep and howling of wolves, why not the voice of scripture? The one field grows both wheat and tares. If one voice says "Love keeps no record of wrongs" and another says "Blackest darkness is reserved for them", which voice sounds more like the good shepherd and the loving Father?

As for Christ being judge and bringing justice:

Mary: Daddy, daddy! Fred's ripped the head off my doll!

Fred: No I neva! Didn't do nuthin!

Dad:(Demonstrating Justice #1) Right! Over here, both of you. Now Mary. Fred pulled the head off your doll, so you can rip the wheels off his car. Then I'll give him a good thrashing. That will restore the cosmic equilibrium and we'll all be happy.

Dad:(Demonstrating Justice #2) Right! Over here, both of you. Fred! For shame. Look how you've made Mary cry. How would you like it if she pulled the wheels from your car? Now you give her a kiss and say you're sorry. Then I'll help you fix her doll. Otherwise, it's the wooden spoon on your bottom, I'm afraid.
Last edited by AllanS on May 17th, 2006, 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Josh » May 17th, 2006, 1:11 am

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 17th, 2006, 4:26 am

I didn't get your point because your point didn't "work". All I have to do to accept Jesus as the Christ is to interpret the Bible literally - because that's literally what it says.

Adam, some of the Bible is figural. Jesus told parables. But I'm sure you're going to think that anyone that disagrees wih you is ignorant, but you've done a miserable job demonstrating that it's so.

Allan, it's possible that you don't understand the Bible because you don't read it. If you had read it, you would have picked up that the lake of fire - the final disposition of lost people - either doesn't exist yet or hasn't been opened. The first people to be cast into the lake of fire will be the Beast and the False Prophet.

BTW, God warned the Israelites about the bad things that would happen to them in this life if they rejected Him and they wouldn't listen. Do you really think they would have listened to Him about an afterlife?

Shoot, He's warning people about hell today. Are you listening? Evidently not.

Allan, by what standard are you judging whether something doesn't "sound right" or not?
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » May 17th, 2006, 4:47 am

Last edited by Adam on May 17th, 2006, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » May 17th, 2006, 4:58 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 17th, 2006, 5:20 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 17th, 2006, 6:12 am

Last edited by AllanS on May 17th, 2006, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Adam » May 17th, 2006, 6:33 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » May 17th, 2006, 10:02 am

Last edited by Boromir on May 17th, 2006, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » May 17th, 2006, 3:22 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » May 17th, 2006, 3:34 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » May 17th, 2006, 5:11 pm

::The problem is that we're not talking about the sort of test where students learn enough to pass through their own effort. If the analogy is to a test, then it's a test where the teacher has slipped the correct answers to all the students beforehand. If the teacher does that, then it's not really a test. No one is tested.

Then the test is truly whether or not you accept the correct answers.

::If we're to obtain righteousness, it will not be through our own efforts. Even the best of us cannot "study enough" to pass the test, to make ourselves righteous (as compared to God's standard of righteousness). Christ essentially gives us amnesty from judgment. If Christ is to give everyone amnesty from judgment, then there is no judgment.

Again, grace is not cheating on the test; accepting it is the test. Christ doesn't give amnesty from judgment, He transforms us so that we are not guilty.

The question is, does Christ get rid of the consequence of sin, or of sin itself? Does he declare us not guilty, or mak us not guilty? I would say the latter; thus there is true judgment, and we are subject to it, but we are found not guilty by it.

::You might answer that talking about the test, or about judgment, at least makes everyone try to study, or try to make themselves righteous. That, perhaps, is true (though a bit of a dirty trick). But that doesn't work when you've already communicated beforehand that the test isn't really a test, that you're going to get the answers beforehand, that grace will save you. If my mission only is to avoid the eternal flames of hell, and I know that I can avoid those flames not by trying to be righteous but simply by "accepting Christ," then that's all I'm going to do. I'm not going to study for the test of the teacher gives away before her plan not to make it a true test. In other words, if God were holding out judgment and hell for the sole purpose of motivating us toward righteousness, he should never have communicated Christ, or even the possibility of grace. On the other hand, if there is a real judgment and people will go to a real place called hell, then God would communicate Christ and grace beforehand in order to give his people the opportunity to be saved. The object from that point does not become, "pass the test." I know that I'm exempt from that test. The object becomes, "dwell in the righteousness of this Teacher who has saved my soul."

Again, I think this concern for the means of grace is confusing the matter. Accepting grace is what must be done. I think that everyone shall do it. Grace doesn't merely give you a free pass, it's not cheating or a trick, it really does transform you and make you worthy of blessing and not wrath. Christ gains your pardon by transforming you.

::I do not believe that Judaism had a concept of eternal judgment until the age of the prophets. They did believe in justice, but it was an earthly justice. The Jews sought for God to restore justice by crushing their enemies. With the periods of Jewish captivity and persecution, particularly at the hands of the Babylonians, came the desire for a more eternal form of justice, and the writings of prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah regarding eternal judgments and a day of reckoning resulted. Even in those images, though, justice comes through the eternal destruction of the enemies of God. God would restore order by crushing the chaos-makers in Jewish theology.

Destroying chaos AND blessing order. There is need for justice even if there is no one to punish, even if it's only activity is to finally bless those who are holy and yet have suffered in a chaotic world.
Last edited by Adam on May 17th, 2006, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy