This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Should women be ordained

re: Should women be ordained

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » October 3rd, 2006, 4:04 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Re: re: Should women be ordained

Postby ijohn_patmos » October 3rd, 2006, 5:28 am

Jo said, amongst other things: -I see nothing wrong with ordination of women.
But surely one should have no views on the matter, either for or against. One is not entitled to hold views contrary to the tradition of 'the great Church'. In other words we appeal to the authority of tradition. Yes, in some ways 'development' has been accepted. However, I don't think that the abolition of slavery is really a valid development as from earliest times there have been advocates for its abolition. Trusting this makes sense.

Best regards,
John
On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings-
oh, happy chance! -I went forth without being observed. My house being now at rest.
[Ascent of Mount Carmel I.(i)]
ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Hurrah for the Liberal Variety

Postby larry gilman » October 3rd, 2006, 7:00 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Hurrah for the Liberal Variety

Postby John Anthony » October 3rd, 2006, 7:53 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

re: Should women be ordained

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » October 10th, 2006, 5:40 pm

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby jo » October 20th, 2006, 7:33 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 22nd, 2006, 1:21 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby woodelk » November 17th, 2006, 1:35 am

woodelk
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » November 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » November 17th, 2006, 6:52 pm

I wrote this to post earlier, in the first days of the thread, but I lost the file. Then, just a couple days ago I found it, and now this thread started back up, so I thought I would post it. It doesn’t fit particularly well here, but I trust you’ll manage:

As I feel called to the religious life, I would like to put in my personal perspective of female ordination with relation to the religious life. I speak as a Catholic, and dealing exclusively with the Catholic priesthood and the religious life.

In the religious life, a woman takes vows and has a very spousal relationship with Christ. I have felt this myself, though not yet professed (as a religious sister, that is), and never quite no what to say if someone asks if I have a boyfriend. The term boyfriend seems casual, irreverent and modern, to my sensibilities. Yet to call Him a Lover seems too forward for this stage in the game. A religious sister has a profound, intimate, beautiful relationship with Christ that is very different from that which the priest has. Given the choice between being God's beloved and being the instrument through which he works sacraments and continues his ministry on earth is fortunately not a choice one has to make. If one is female, the beloved option is open to one. (Open but not guaranteed; one does not have a right to be a sister.) If one is male, the servant option is open. (But not guaranteed.) Granted I cannot really grasp how a priest (or any man) relates to God, because I am not male. But I would not choose otherwise than to be a sister, even if offered the choice of being a priest.

Women are not kept from having power by an all-male clergy. The priesthood is not about power- priest have relatively little power, especially now when they don’t receive the universal respect that they used to, and many parishes are run by women who plan the liturgy, music, flowers, etc. If you want absolute power and domination, don’t become a priest (or even bishop, cardinal, or pope): become the Mother Superior of a cloistered order of Poor Clares’. You might have to suffer with having no meat, the being woken up in the middle of the night for prayers, longs fasts, kneeling on the floor for hours without support- but in the end, when you look at those faces who practically worship you, and obey your every command (they’ve taken a vow to obey you) down to asking your permission before getting a glass of water: well, by God, that’s power. (This is totally me joking, by the way. Nothing in the world could induce me to become a Mother Superior, and I think most Mother Superiors, the good ones anyway, are very reluctant to take on their office. The responsibility would kill me.)

Women are not kept from service by an all-male clergy. No one will say that Mother Theresa’s service was limited because she couldn’t be ordained. I’m sure she didn’t want to be.

Women are not kept from holiness by an all-male clergy.

Women are not kept from education by an all-male clergy. (When a woman becomes a Dominican she picks a topic of study that she will pursue for the rest of her life.)

In discussions of female clergy, I think it is important to remember that the priesthood is a vocation, that is a call from God (from the Latin vocare, “to call”) and that no one should be a priest except those whom God chooses.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » November 17th, 2006, 10:47 pm

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 20th, 2006, 6:12 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » November 21st, 2006, 1:38 am

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 21st, 2006, 4:02 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Ana » November 21st, 2006, 6:19 am

Hi everyone!

I believe men and women are equal but God has different roles for men than he does for women.

I don't believe Women should be Pastors.

1 Corinthians 11:3-10 "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God... A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man... "

1 Timothy 2:11-14 "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. "

Clearly women are more likely to be decieved. And this verse clearly refers to the fall

:coffee: (no ice cap emoticon?????)
Ana
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy