This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Pregnancy from rape

Re: re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby Sarah N. » October 2nd, 2006, 11:07 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby wingedllama » October 2nd, 2006, 11:09 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby hana » October 3rd, 2006, 3:11 am

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Re: re: Pregnancy from rape

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby chad » November 27th, 2006, 9:01 pm

chad
Wardrobian

Postby bingley » November 28th, 2006, 2:21 pm

bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby interloper » November 28th, 2006, 3:07 pm

That's a very important point you've just made, Bingley, and one I feel very strongly about. A great deal of importance is placed by lobbyists (eg anti-abortionists) on not doing certain things, which tends to give most lobbyists (though not all) the reputation of being negative. It's much harder to persuade people to do something by preaching openly, rather than not to do something, because unless you are seen to be doing the thing in question yourself you're open to a charge of hypocrisy. And if that thing is, say, actively supporting victims of adverse circumstances as you describe, then all your energies are likely to be taken up doing that, leaving you little or no time to do the preaching. I suppose the most credible type of anti-abortion lobbyist would be one who speaks out against it, but who also actively supports those who have chosen against it for conscience reasons and consequently need practical help. Such a person would have to be extremely dedicated to the cause.

These considerations remind me of one of the forms of confession in the Church of England (BCP) which says, "... we have left undone those things which we ought to have done, and we have done those things which we ought not to have done." It's interesting that sins of omission are mentioned before sins of commission -- I instinctively think of my sin as consisting of things I have done (or thought) which are against the will of God, but I wonder whether I will be judged more on my failure to do things which I should have done and didn't.
interloper
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 28th, 2006, 6:08 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby bingley » November 29th, 2006, 6:25 am

bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » November 29th, 2006, 9:33 am

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » December 1st, 2006, 4:05 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby chad » December 1st, 2006, 11:00 pm

Shadowland Dweller,
your words mean a lot to me. thank you so much. my mother is an amazing woman. i've never met someone so willing to give without defecting to self-abnegation and without expecting something in return. She is simple and simply sincere. the whole issue of my conception is very difficult for my mom to even talk about, and I think that shows how hard it has been for her to bring me into this world.
chad
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » December 2nd, 2006, 7:51 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby bingley » December 2nd, 2006, 3:03 pm

Certainly, it makes no difference to whether abortion is right or wrong. But I think someone who campaigns loudly against abortion without wanting to do anything to help women who are faced with the prospect of bringing up a baby alone or in very difficult circumstances comes perilously close to Jesus' condemnation of the Pharisees in Matthew 23.4:

They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. (NRSV)
bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » December 2nd, 2006, 4:37 pm

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy