This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestants?

Re: re: The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestant

Postby Kolbitar » October 19th, 2006, 12:51 am

Josh, Wolf, Alecto:

Let me preface my responses with a quote from Pope Urban ll, who rallied for the first Crusade:

"They [the Muslim Turks] have invaded the lands of those Christians and have depopulated them by the sword, pillage and fire; they have led away a part of the captives into their own country, and a part they have destroyed by cruel tortures .… They circumcise the Christians, and the blood of the circumcision they either spread upon the altars or pour into the vases of the baptismal font. When they wish to torture people by a base death, they perforate their navels, and dragging forth the extremity of the intestines, bind it to a stake; then with flogging they lead the victim around until the viscera having gushed forth the victim falls prostrate upon the ground. Others they bind to a post and pierce with arrows. Others they compel to extend their necks and then, attacking them with naked swords, attempt to cut through the neck with a single blow. What shall I say of the abominable rape of the women? To speak of it is worse than to be silent .… On whom therefore is the labor of avenging these wrongs and of recovering this territory incumbent, if not upon you?" (taken from http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTop ... ngCrus.htm)

Well, how about it guys? who will "avenge these wrongs"?

What about you Josh?

"No... The conflict began because they were raiding shippers and traders, not because they had expansionist desires. It was the popes who were obsessed with Jerusalem and its artifacts."

Are you serious?

"[T]he Roman Catholic church had no business doing it."

Oh, I forgot, the Bill of Rights just fell out of the sky along with the Bible straight from the Ascension; indeed, so it was just as plain for the Catholic Church to see the separation principle between Church and State as it was for them to see that Scripture needed no canonization process. I'm so dumb, it is really all so simple!

What about you Wolf?

"There was no excuse for the... Crusades..."

But Wolf, "[w]hen they wish to torture people by a base death, they perforate their navels, and dragging forth the extremity of the intestines, bind it to a stake; then with flogging they lead the victim around until the viscera having gushed forth the victim falls prostrate upon the ground." What say you?

"They do not have leave to force other people to do what they want."

Oh yea, somehow Jesus said that... no wait, he actually said, as Pope Urban III pointed out, "Greater love than this hath no man, that he lay down his life for his friends", thus “[y]ou carry out in deeds the words of the Gospel…”

Ok, so that's two for the fanatical Muslim's, how about Allllllllllecto? How about it Alecto, wouldn't it be courageous to recover this territory from those who "circumcise the Christians, and the blood of the circumcision they either spread upon the altars or pour into the vases of the baptismal font"?

"I don't know if I would have the courage to allow my country to be invaded".

Whoa, that's not exactly what I asked, but let me get this straight: it would be courageous to let your country be invaded? But "they bind (others) to a post and pierce (them) with arrows... Others they compel to extend their necks and then, attacking them with naked swords, attempt to cut through the neck with a single blow"?

"Maybe a Muslim invasion of Europe is what was supposed to have happened."

Gee gats, what about you Jesse? shall we avenge those women who've been abominably raped?

"Someone start up the Conan music while I grab my sword: Pope Urban II, Pope Urban III -- count this former Quaker in…"
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 19th, 2006, 1:47 am

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Caesario » October 19th, 2006, 2:30 am

Caesario
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » October 19th, 2006, 4:48 am

Kolbitar, the Romans were as bad and Jesus never (not once) suggested that the church rise up against Rome. It is not the church's place to wage war against anyone except the demonic powers. Others that were as bad as the Muslims were the people that Urban sent into the Holy Land to "rescue" it.

And when the Roman Catholic church used pretty much the same techniques described by Urban (or, at least, sanctioned them in their Inquistions), I think, maybe, you protesteth too much.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 21st, 2006, 5:04 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 21st, 2006, 12:55 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 21st, 2006, 8:28 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » October 22nd, 2006, 2:26 am

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 22nd, 2006, 2:41 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » October 22nd, 2006, 1:54 pm

Hey Josh.

::With regard to Urban II's quote, consider its context. He's rallying his troops. No one is contending that the Muslims were not at fault, or that their practices were not brutal.

Here's the point: if the practices were "brutal," were directed at Christians, were spreading, were threatening Christian civilization itself, and these facts were added to a mindset that we cannot blame upon a particular people necessarily subject to the limitations of their time (they did not have a Bill of Rights which was born out of hundreds of years of experience - of common law, challenge to the divine right of kings by the Church, popular sovereignty, etc. -- and could not be a-priori intuited from Scripture), then there can be no culpability, in this case, on the part of the Pope in rallying for the cause of a defensive war, nor on the part of faithful Catholics in being rallied for such a war.

In general terms, if people are unable to make a distinction between the Church's role in matters concerning state self-defense because neither experience nor Scripture has matured the faculty through which to see that distinction, then blaming people (comprising the Church) for reacting in the only way they saw fit, at the time, is like calling Newton intellectually lazy for failing to see the inevitable (in retrospect) advancement of Einstein's relativity. Of course to go backwards and wish to implement such a mentality now would be wrong -- that is not disputed, nor is the fact that abuses occurred disputed; but let's be clear about where we stand in relation to those who could not possibly see as we see now, for, if we can be, then much emotion and prejudice will be dispelled so we can truly understand the facts.

::Should I juxtapose Jesus's exhortations concerning our enemies, those who injure us, and how we should react to them, against the Roman church's response to Muslim hostilities? Or can you see the problem without it?

The Church and State were not seen to be in opposition except in so far as the State violated the Church's jurisdiction. The Church, right or wrong, consequently played a large role in State affairs: let's deal with this cultural fact first. Now, who in their right mind thinks that Jesus' "exhortations," as you say, apply on a state level? The Declaration of Independence says:

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends (Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness) it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Is this amazing and rare cumulative wisdom -- derived from rational reflection on human experience - in conflict with Jesus' exhortation's? If not, then much less is the duty of defending one's national territory a "problem". The real problem, once again, comes down to the question, should the Church directly enter political matters, matters of the state? and though I agree that we should answer the question differently now, I don't fault the Church for answering it differently then. I do fault members of the Church for abusing what resulted from their answer, but this in no way cuts to the heart and negates the essential purpose of the Church: to safeguard the deposit of faith (encapsulated in dogmas as well as traditions that are unanimously taught by the Fathers, councils and Papal encyclicals).

Now let me frame the issue by presenting the other extreme, taking our present situation which we agree should entail a separation preventing the Church from directly controlling state affairs; this extreme would entail a denial of natural law and it's applications. Take for instance the application quoted above in the Declaration; is this contrary to Divine law? To any sort of Revelation? If it's my duty to defend my family, then it's my duty to defend my city, my state and my country from unjust attacks; this is natural law, the law God has written into nature. Does God contradict Himself? Does revelation trump natural law, or is it compatible with it? So, interpreting Jesus' exhortation's universally, without the context of common sense or natural law (they're really the same thing) would lead us to the insanity of, for example, pardoning all presently incarcerated individuals in the name of forgiveness, or extending an olive branch to Bin Laden.

::What do you believe Jesus intended to establish in a Church? Based on the gospel accounts and Acts, do you really think Jesus intended a political body that would avenge political wrongs and bring wrath upon the ungodly? Was the Church commissioned to spread the Gospel to the corners of the earth, or to bring the sword to the corners of the earth?

Your question isn't clear to me, what do you mean by "bring[ing] the sword to the corners of the earth?" You see, if you mean to ask "was the Church commissioned to bring about conversions by the sword?", then clearly the answer is no, but it's an irrelevant and fictional "no" because the question doesn't bear on reality: for the Church never said convert or die -- you're somehow confusing Christianity with Islam!

However, if you mean to ask is natural law an inherent part of the Church, is it something which flows from her principles, principles which the Church foresees, full grown, supporting an ordered, advanced, civilized society - a society where some civil servants carry the "sword" (cops) to keep internal peace, and others wield it against external enemies, then the answer is, most emphatically: yes!

::There was a point in the life of the Church when it ceased to be the visible Body that it was intended to be, and it became a political institution instead. Nearly a millineum of darkness followed, and things like the Crusades and the Inquisition resulted.

Most Christian cults agree, but they're at least consistent in rejecting the most wondrous cornerstone doctrine of the politically instituted Church: the Trinity.

Concerning your last statement, only Christian ostriches, with their heads buried in propaganda can agree that darkness was not being overcome; overcome by the light of charity -- of tending to the sick, the orphans, the outcasts, of the establishment of hospitals; by learning -- in logic, philosophy, the sciences, the arts, and the institution of universities; in agricultural advancements, technological advancements, industrial advancements - all owing to Catholic monasteries; in the organized resistance to unnatural heresies which denied goodness to matter; and, most strikingly to all modern accounts of rewritten history, in the realm of politics and ethics: just war theory, social contract, resistance to tyrants, popular sovereignty:

"It is impossible, for example, to understand our revolution or constitutional founding without some knowledge of the original settlers and their faith, the English common law experience that lay behind them, and the medieval background from which this all developed. Typically, these are glossed over or ignored entirely in our history, which portrays ideas of popular sovereignty, limits on royal power, or the right of resistance as "radical" concepts invented in the modern epoch. In fact, however, all these ideas had been expressed with utmost clarity (and repeatedly) in the Middle Ages.

At the period when Aquinas was writing, limits on political power were the norm in Europe… Representative institutions at this era were vigorous and growing, and the power of kings accordingly constrained-up to and including ideas of popular sovereignty, social contract, and resistance to tyrannical rulers." --Evans

One more thing I'd like to respond to, you write, in another post, "we don't have a good track record in that area, at least not for better than half of the Church's history. It shows some collective hypocrisy on our part to accuse Islam of being a religion of war."

But this accepts that there's a moral equivalence between acts of aggression, an aggressive war, and defensive measures, a defensive war. Further, to collectively affirm that the historic Church is essentially the same as Islam is to collectively affirm ignorance of their opposed underlying principles. In so far as Church members, or even the church, at times, in tandem, were wrong from our point of view, we can point to the Church's underlying principles and show, logically, why they were wrong. This is in stark contrast to Islam, which is a religion that denies natural law in principle, and denies those tenets of the natural law which are in conflict with revelation, with Allah's will. In Catholicism reason and Divine will are not in conflict, so there can be, for instance, a separation of Church -- which deals in matters of revelation -- and State -- which deals in matters of natural law-- for they mutually compliment each other.

Sincerely,

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » October 22nd, 2006, 1:56 pm

::Eh, God? Maybe?

Do you feel the same about Bin Laden? How about Hitler? No, you say? That doesn't involve the Church, you say? But that's not entirely correct, for the Church (whatever you view the Church as) still has, and must have, an indirect role through it's ethics in saying whether or not it's right for the state to do so and so…

::Do Catholics have to defend the political tendencies of past Popes?

Absolutely not.

::There's no way in hell you will catch me defending Adrian IV's Donation of Ireland. Of course, I'm not Catholic.. so it might be a moot point :smile:

Catholic or not, the point seems moot.

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » October 22nd, 2006, 1:59 pm

::Kolbitar, the Romans were as bad and Jesus never (not once) suggested that the church rise up against Rome. It is not the church's place to wage war against anyone except the demonic powers.

The Church found itself in a new situation, it did not have to wage war to gain political influence. Naturally the Church felt it was given a divine opportunity to help "give life, and give it more abundantly." If you're going to blame the Church, at that time, for accepting this opportunity then you're going to have to clearly show where either the evolution of natural law up to that time, or Sacred Scripture, positively and with perspicuity states that they had no right to do so.

Chesterton said it best, "If the faith had faced the world only with the platitudes about peace and simplicity some moralists would confine it to, it would have had the faintest effect on that luxurious and labyrinthine lunatic asylum."

::Others that were as bad as the Muslims were the people that Urban sent into the Holy Land to "rescue" it.

So what? Give to me an example of any just war where some individual people fighting for the right cause didn't commit atrocities. You'd have a point if those actions were condoned by the Church, but in fact just the opposite was the case.

::And when the Roman Catholic church used pretty much the same techniques described by Urban (or, at least, sanctioned them in their Inquistions), I think, maybe, you protesteth too much.

Look, even if I accept your statement as it stands it's so completely ridiculous to say that the motive for the first Crusade was wrong because eventually the Inquisition would occur that it's hardly worthy of a response. It's like saying the U.S. should have stayed out of World War II because human rights violations at Abu Grabe (sp?) were bound to happen.

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » October 22nd, 2006, 3:09 pm

::I think you should consider actually being a Christian. This means you should start doing what Christ said, not what Man said. Christ never said "retalliate", even when the warriors in question were turning over the Son of God to be executed.

Ok, so self defense, family defense, law enforcement and national defense are anti- Christian? I had this conversation once with Paladin, you wouldn't happen to be the same person would you? I'm not making any accusations, I've just never heard this from anyone else.

::We can complicate the issue ad nauseam with descriptions of the horrible things people do to each other, but that does create cause for the "Antichristian Heresy" which is the settling of accounts of faith with war.

Settling matters of faith, as in Articles of Faith, as in revealed propositions like the Trinity and such, would be an anti-Christian heresy. However, why you're applying it to me, or to the motive for the first Crusades, or to the Church's capacity to infallibly define binding dogma, escapes me.

::Nor does the need of a state to defend itself equate with a christian obligation to make war.

If the defense is just, then why doesn't it equate?

::War begets war.

That's meaningless in practical terms, for what direction does that give, say, to the question of whether the U.S. should have entered W.W. II?

::Pope Urban was way down a long chain of causes, and what he says has no bearing on who was responsible for it, or how it could be stopped.

If you're merely denying infallibility here, well, no one's claiming it in this matter. Otherwise I fail to see any point.

::3000 citizens of New York lie dead as evidence that the Pope, in his infinite wisdom, did not stop this war.

No one claims he had infallible wisdom here.

::Yet none of this is the point I was making. Why are you, so careful to try to see things according to Scripture about trifles, refusing to see things according to Scripture in the mighty field of Peace and War?

Are you asking, in other words, why am I not an extremist pacifist?

::Where is your Biblical view of the world now? Christ says to be peaceful. Do it. Figure out a way to be Christian and not repeat the rhetoric and deeds of warmongers.

Unless you're an absolute pacifist, then give me a break. If you are an absolute pacifist, and you think everyone else should be, then you are the one who's not acting like a Christian -- in which case you can save it.

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » October 22nd, 2006, 11:24 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Caesario » October 25th, 2006, 2:51 am

Caesario
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy