This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Gay Marriage

What best represents your views on gay marriage?

I am in favour and I am a CHristian
24%
I am in favour and I am not a Christian
10%
I am not in favour and I am a Christian
48%
I am not in favour and I am not a CHristian
6%
other
11%

Total votes : 62

Postby Karen » June 26th, 2008, 8:09 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » June 27th, 2008, 12:54 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 27th, 2008, 2:00 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » June 27th, 2008, 9:04 am

Butr then,this phenomen must be found also in other high developed mammals-I´m not discussing evolution here- it´s just a fact that we are in the strict biological sense mammals.
What bothers me is that I cannot see a strict relation between a more androgyn appearance and homosxuality. Okay. that´s the common prejudice, but the only thing I observed is that sometimes in a same-sex relation one partner has a more masculine apppearance and the other one a more feminine. I only know two lesbian women, who actually have masculine features. and there is only one gay man who really is effaminate.We were friends from Kindergarten till he and his partner decided to live very far away from our home.
What I never understood very well- as a child and a teenager he just was a soft-one. That I liked very much , because I grew up with an older step-brother and a total rascal of a little brother. So I never got along real good with girls ( they were so girlish ), but it was hard to stand my ground against the boys.Back to theme. Everything was fine in our friendship, but the moment he started a partnership with a somewhat older man, he - my truest friend since childhood, became GIRLISH.
For example we always had enjoyed to go on long walks and helped each other - I pulled him over high stones , he carried me when the water became to deep and suddenly he behaved like the most stupid girls I knew and worse. I really doubt it, that there is a biological explanation for this. O, by the way he was a firstborn son.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 27th, 2008, 9:41 am

I still think it interesting that any Christian today who thinks that committing the 'same-sex act' is not a sin and not wrong is among the first generation of Christians in all of history to think so. It's basically saying that Christianity couldn't get it right on something of this magnitude until this generation came along.

Reminds me of Lewis's comment in "Funeral of a Great Myth" about the young Sigurd coming along and saying "Get out of the way, old man! It is we who know (better than you)! It's the teenager's ultimate dream - thinking they know better than their parents...
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 27th, 2008, 11:59 am

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » June 27th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 27th, 2008, 1:31 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 27th, 2008, 2:39 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 27th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Hey, I cried at the end of The Joy Luck Club last night, so it just shows to go ya.

Of course, then I switched over to Sports Center.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 27th, 2008, 3:11 pm

This talk about masculine / feminine traits--plus Dan's mention of Sports Center--got me thinking slightly off topic. I don't know where else to put this, though, so forgive me for the slight digression.

[rant]What's with the 'wife/girlfriend' as Mother-figure I keep seeing in commercials--especially commercials during sports?

You know the deal: the guy has to beg his girlfriend to be allowed to watch the game or sneak out when she's not looking so he can hang out with the guys or stand there looking like an eejit as she figures out all the 'responsible' stuff for the household, like how to stretch the household funds to pay all the bills.

(Same thing with on-line games. Every once in a while I'll hear one of my World of Warcraft guild members say something like, "Can't make the raid on Kara tonight--I've got major wife-aggro." Or "Sorry folks. Gotta improve my girlfriend-faction." Fortunately, I'm pretty sure they're kidding. But I've never heard a married female member say, "Sorry to miss the raid, but I've got to improve my husband-faction.")

As far as I can tell from these commercials, if a woman is unfortunate enough to acquire a boyfriend or husband, she has essentially taken on the task of raising an adult kid. Worse, she's a really mean parent. Surely this isn't the norm in relationships? If it is, I'm not surprised that divorce rates are up. I'm just astonished that anyone wants to get married in the first place.[/rant]

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. I hate those commercials!
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » June 27th, 2008, 3:29 pm

JRosemary- a woman can have a hard time fighting the shadow of her mother-in-law- often a man wants a girl that is totally different from Mom- but his way to cope with women is influenced by his relation to his mother.
But all human relations are overshadowed by our former experiences- for good or for bad.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 27th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Well, I don't know the first thing about guys and their mothers, so I'll leave off. I don't like the commericials--but I suppose it's not my issue. After all, I'd have better sense than to date a girl who objected to baseball games or World of Warcraft. I prefer someone who shares my interests :wink:
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 27th, 2008, 3:52 pm

That's why I married a Red Sox fan. That and the fact that I knew she'd be patient and used to disappointment.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 27th, 2008, 3:55 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy