This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Forgiving Terrorists

Forgiving Terrorists

Postby sehoy » September 18th, 2005, 3:15 pm

What do you think about this? To be honest, no one has ever asked me to forgive the terrorists of 11 September. It never even occured to me that I should. My thinking was, that the crimes were not committed against me, therefore it is not my place to forgive the crimes or the terrorists. Some comments in the Current Events forum have made me aware of the fact that some of you were asked to forgive the terrorists. And on this 11 September my church preached forgiveness, seventy times seven. It got me thinking.

Okay. I need to forgive the terrorists for the crimes committed against me, personally.

Here's an article that I found while searching "forgiving terrorists."

What do you all think?

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » September 18th, 2005, 4:09 pm

Well I agree with the author that it is a good thing to forgive the terrorists in a personal level, but not to release them from the due penalties for their crimes, if they are caught.

That's a buggery hard thing to do though. It would be easier, I suppose , if they were repentant but those who were involved in the 9/11 attacks and are still alive are likely gloating about them to this day. And a person can say 'I forgive them' over and over again, but that doesn't mean they can make themselves mean it .. I do not think, had my loved ones been in those buildings and been killed, that I could make myself mean it.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » September 18th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Excellent article, and I highly recommend Solomon Schimmel's book-- I have it. Great basis for this subject.

I also haven't felt that the terrorists did something to me personally. I have felt stunned, appalled, unbelieving at what they have done, but not that I personally have something to forgive them for. I don't know-- maybe I'm just not looking at it right, or maybe I'm hardhearted in some way, or maybe I separate myself too much from other people. If I do come to think I need to forgive them, then I definitely would use Schimmel's book to help me work through it. I know all too well that I can't forgive big things by myself.
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 19th, 2005, 4:52 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » September 19th, 2005, 7:57 am

I think it's an important point to make .. that forgiveness does not mean that a person will not have to pay the earthly penalty of their crimes/deeds. I also think it's a lot easier to forgive people if you know that they ARE paying that penalty. If they're walking away scot free.. then it's tough.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 19th, 2005, 8:55 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Steve » September 20th, 2005, 12:58 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 20th, 2005, 1:03 am

I am called to forgive someone who has done evil to me, but do I have the right to forgive that which has been done to others? Would I not then be re-victimizing them by denying their right to forgive or to withhold forgiveness?
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » September 20th, 2005, 1:15 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 20th, 2005, 1:38 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » September 20th, 2005, 10:56 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » September 20th, 2005, 11:19 am

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » September 20th, 2005, 11:52 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » September 20th, 2005, 11:57 am