This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

John Henry Newman

John Henry Newman

Postby mjmann » October 21st, 2005, 10:32 pm

How well known is John Henry Newman to Wardrobians?

Newman (1801 - 1890) was an Evangelical Christian who became a leading figure in the Tractarian movement in the 1830s - along with the Churchman John Keble and Hurrel Froude. The Tractarian movement was a high church group in the Church of England that sought to define for the CofE a via media (middle way) in terms of doctrine and practice between the Catholic Church and Protestant Christianity. During this time, Newman was the vicar of St Mary's Church in Oxford (his name can still be seen on the roster of vicars there). In 1845, having become convinced of the claims of the Catholic Church, Newman converted. He lived for a while in a hamlet near Oxford called Littlemore before being ordained a priest. He then founded the first English Oratory in Birmingham, where he lived for the rest of his life. In 1879, Pope Leo XIII made him a cardinal.

Newman wrote sundry theological works too deep for this mind to get to grips with (e.g. The Grammar of Assent), two novels (which work best as theological dramas) and poetry (including the famous Dream of Gerontius). The reason I mention him now is because of the good news that he may soon be declared among the blessed of God.

Blessed and Saint John Henry Newman would be a valuable witness to the faith of the Church not just because of his intellectual abilities - the legacy of which is said to stretch to him being called the Father of the Vatican II Council - but also because of his pastoral dedication. When a cholera epidemic ravaged Birmingham, Newman did not pick up his books and leave but stayed to minister to his people. I think he had a somewhat fragile personality but despite this was able to love others deeply.

John Henry Cardinal Newman
pray for us
mjmann
Wardrobian

Re: John Henry Newman

Postby Air of Winter » October 21st, 2005, 10:57 pm

Last edited by Air of Winter on October 22nd, 2005, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air of Winter
Wardrobian

re: John Henry Newman

Postby John Anthony » October 21st, 2005, 11:28 pm

mjmann asked: "How well known is John Henry Newman to Wardrobians?"

I knew the name of course, and something about the main events of his life. I thought that his most important, or at least best known, literary work was the Apologia pro Vita Sua. I think I read small parts of it for a class long ago in Victorian literature.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Re: re: John Henry Newman

Postby Karen » October 21st, 2005, 11:48 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » October 23rd, 2005, 10:37 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby The Seventh Son » October 24th, 2005, 3:14 pm

The Seventh Son
Wardrobian

Re: re: John Henry Newman

Postby mjmann » October 24th, 2005, 3:49 pm

Hello SS,

Without knowing your litarary tastes (do you like philosophy? Sermons? Poetry? Newman wrote all this and more) it is hard to know what to suggest. However, since you ask (& I'm glad you did!), I would have to recommend the book that started me on Newman - the Apologia Pro Vita Sua (A Defence of My Life). This is a spiritual autobiography that was born out of a controversy between Newman and Charles Kingsley (author of The Water-babies) who had written in a book review that "Father Newman informs us that truth for its own sake need not be, and on the whole ought not to be, a virtue of the Roman clergy." Not to hype the book too much, but I have seen it called the second greatest spiritual autobiography of all time (after St Augustine's Confessions). Praise indeed.
BTW: Air of Winter has linked to one of the best web sites dedicated to discussion of all things Newman, so that would also be worth a read.

MJM
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby The Seventh Son » October 24th, 2005, 4:05 pm

The Seventh Son
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy