This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestants?

The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestants?

Postby Kolbitar » September 19th, 2006, 5:56 pm

To those who take Bible alone as their rule of faith -- with no Tradition, and no interpretive Authority -- how do you answer the question of an open Canon? In other words, where in the Bible alone can you find not just the table of contents, but a close to that table? Where does the Bible alone say something like “it is finished?”

Generalizing from Revelation 22: 18+19, by the way, just won't do – I’m not even sure Revelation was the last book written (?).

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

re: The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestants?

Postby Theo » September 21st, 2006, 11:48 am

Also, IIRC the inclusion of Revelation itself in the canon was quite strongly contested in the early Church, and it's not hard to see why. I'm actually more surprised that it was eventually included.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Well then, a little straight talk...

Postby Kolbitar » September 22nd, 2006, 9:02 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Re: Well then, a little straight talk...

Postby Karen » September 22nd, 2006, 9:08 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 22nd, 2006, 9:17 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 22nd, 2006, 9:31 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 22nd, 2006, 9:46 pm

::And around and around we go..... :wink:[/quote]

Alright, well let's keep it to the train of logic I set forth so we don't chase our tails.

You wrote:
But surely believing that the Councils were guided by God in this matter doesn't necessarily mean that all subsequent pronouncements of the Church were also so guided?

In post preceding that, within the set of logical steps, I wrote:
If they accept one of the two as Authoritative on this matter, then why not all matters?

To have kept us grounded perhaps I should have asked, in direct relation to your question, "...then why not all matters?" I open the question to all...

Jesse

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » September 22nd, 2006, 10:29 pm

With only a few books still in question (Hebrews, 2 John, 3 John, Revalation, for example) the Canon of the New Testament was substantially fixed well before the decisive final Councils. Athanasius of Alexandria was the first (that we know of) to list the 27 books exactly as we have them. But the critical phase, even before this, I'd say, is what we see by engaging in 2nd and 3rd Century patristic studies.

Best single volume on the development of the New Testament, in my opinion, is Bruce Metzger's The Canon of the New Testament, Oxford/Clarendon. Highly recommended.

It is worthy to note (although it may seem strange to Protestants and Roman Catholics) that, as far as the Old Testament Canon - comparing and contrasting Greek and Russian Orthodox Bibles** makes clear that even now, the exact parameters of the Bible are not even now exactly tacked down in the Eastern Church. But this does not, by any means, imply that all is up for grabs -- that there is not a vivid sense of an Old Testament. It simply represents an earlier way of engaging with the issue of biblical canon.

** and both of these have more than the Latin Vulgate OT.
Last edited by Adam Linton on September 22nd, 2006, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 10:30 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Re: re: The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestant

Postby Kolbitar » September 22nd, 2006, 10:58 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 22nd, 2006, 11:02 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 11:30 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 23rd, 2006, 12:54 am

::Hahaha. Yes indeed I am.

:pleased:

::I agree that the Scripture requires an outside authority, not only to interpret it, which is an argument which has occured here for some time, but even to define it, as you suggest. And I know for certain, having held the position once myself, that official Protestant doctrine authorizes both the Scripture and the even of canonization as the work of the Spirit, it does not authorize the people or the community involved in these events; the idea that the Spirit works in a book and in history but not in humanity is abhorrent to me now, having left the doctrines of depravity, which are the result of a belief in original sin, firmly behind me, for the optimism of the Greek understanding of the image of God in man.

:idea: Methinks you're leaning Orthodox...

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Re: re: The close of the NT Canon... according to Protestant

Postby Adam Linton » September 23rd, 2006, 3:24 am

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 23rd, 2006, 5:44 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy