This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Angst

Angst

Postby JasoninMemphis » October 24th, 2006, 9:33 pm

I've been a long-time lurker here but a rare poster. (In fact, my old account was inactive.) Anyway, I've always appreciated the honesty with which board members share their convictions as well as their doubts.

I'm at a low point right now. In fact, it's fair to say I'm mired in angst. As a Christian, I've always known that in serving an omniscient and omnipotent God that we as finite beings will find His ways nearly inscrutable. Thus, when it comes to the problem of suffering in the world, it has always been relatively easy to say, "God is sovereign; we can't ever fully understand His ways." If God indeed exists, then that answer is entirely valid.

But what do we make of a verse like "Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven"? Obviously God isn't a blessing soda machine, where we insert our prayer and He automatically dispenses a blessing. (Incidentally, a verse that has been added to "The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock" that says "The blessings come down as the prayers go up" rubs me the wrong way.) But given that plenty of sick people that faithful people have prayed for have died, we look for a deeper interpretation such a passage. Back in March I wrote a blog about this very same scripture and suggested that given some of the surrounding verses, James seems more concerned about spiritual healing. Perhaps James is, in fact, saying just that, but are we looking for a deeper interpretation because our gut tells us that James is wrong? The interpretation that James is stressing spiritual healing usually rests on "If he has sinned, he will be forgiven." Is it not possible that James is saying that faithful prayers will heal a sick person and that if the person's illness was a result of sin, then his sins will be forgiven, too?

I don't keep tallies on how many sick people we (whatever church or churches pray for a given person) pray for wind up being healed, but it seems the healings are few and far between to the point where the cynical side of me wonders if they may not just be chocked up to coincidence. (I'm just speaking from my own experience.) Now, of course, you have to consider the fact that all people die, so obviously at some point God will choose not to heal someone. Well, the inevitability of death is an easier thing to accept when we're praying for an elderly person to be healed. If the person is healed, we feel our prayers have been answered. If not, we can say, "Well, it was his time" or "He lived a full life." But what do we make of everyone else? A few years ago in Austin, a man in his late 30's at our church was diagnosed with cancer. He and his wife had a toddler and an infant. We prayed earnestly for his healing, but after several months, he died. Yes, God is sovereign, but where is His love and mercy in that situation? Where?

In May I learned that a friend of mine from college was diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer that had spread to several places in his body, including his brain. As if facing life-threatening cancer wasn't bad enough, he and his wife had just had their first child. Of course, many people (myself included) have been ardently petitioning God for his healing since then. As is the case with nearly all cancer treatment, it's been up and down for him. The first "check up" a few months ago yielded mixed results. He's set for another check-up in November. His wife provides updates on his health on their family blog, and the past few updates have broken my heart. To hear that he's discouraged at God's lack of intervention to this point has caused me to pause and reflect a lot on God the past few days. For those of us praying for him, we know that God certainly has the power to heal anyone of anything. Yet, when I think about all the times God has not healed the sick person, I realize that there's also a very real chance that he will die. Again, how would that show God's love and mercy? How could a loving and merciful God not heal a 30-year-old husband and father?

Pondering those questions is what has brought me to this point of angst. Three years ago (around this time of year, in fact), I reached the emotional nadir of my life to that point. Not "feeling" God was present, not having any emotional connection to Him, I attempted to rationalize my faith. Now, I believe there's plenty of logical reasons to conclude God exists, but ultimately I reached the limitations of reason I had known I'd reach in the first place. No one can prove God. And that's when I began to wrestle with some disturbing thoughts: "What if God is make believe? What if we believe in God just because it makes us feel better, because we want life to have meaning, because we're simply afraid of death?" Morbid perhaps, but they are questions I think most believers skirt. Thanks to some thoughtful counsel from some older Christians and an eventual recapturing of "feeling" God to some degree, I rose from my mire of doubt.

Unfortunately, I've been nearly right back at that nadir the past few days. The problem with the aforementioned disturbing questions is that they can't be answered from the believer's standpoint or the non-believer's standpoint with absolute certainty. Low points like this, though, make non-believers' claims seem a bit more credible. Nonetheless, faith can never be proof. Of course, that statement forces me to wrestle with the certainty expressed by the writer of Hebrews in 11:1. If Paul wrote Hebrews, how could he not be sure--seeing Christ on the road to Damascus, as well as his vision of heaven. That then begs the question as to why God doesn't give us much more overt "signs" than He does. Alas.

To me, one of the most poignant moments in the gospels is in Mark when a man brings his demon-possessed son to Christ to be healed, and he says to Christ, "I believe. Help me overcome my unbelief."

The man's words are my prayer.
JasoninMemphis
Wardrobian

Re: Angst

Postby Sarah N. » October 24th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 24th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Hi Jason. I don't have any words of wisdom for you, just my prayers along with yours that God will help you in your time of doubt. I read an article after the tsunami which helped me when I was asking God how such things could happen. it is, in case it might be of some help.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JasoninMemphis » October 24th, 2006, 11:48 pm

JasoninMemphis
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 25th, 2006, 1:53 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 25th, 2006, 2:13 am

Jason--

You might try When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner. The book arose from the anguish and doubt that Kushner, a rabbi, went through as his young son slowly wasted away and eventually died from a rare degenerative disease.

Many people have been helped by Kushner's searching and very honest reflections on the problem of suffering. A few have been upset by the view of God–loving but not omnipotent–that Kushner finally arrives at. I personally find this not only a credible view, but the only one which enables me to continue believing that there is a God who cares for us and is working for our ultimate well-being.

Praying for you and your friend,

John
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 28th, 2006, 4:00 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby JasoninMemphis » October 28th, 2006, 4:53 am

JasoninMemphis
Wardrobian

Re: Angst

Postby Kolbitar » October 29th, 2006, 12:48 pm

::Unfortunately, I've been nearly right back at that nadir the past few days. The problem with the aforementioned disturbing questions is that they can't be answered from the believer's standpoint or the non-believer's standpoint with absolute certainty. Low points like this, though, make non-believers' claims seem a bit more credible.

Hello Jason.

I remember hitting a low point much like this. Something else hit me though; at the time I was experiencing this all too visceral reaction to God's allowance of evil in the world I immediately perceived a bit of Lewisian logic, which let me "feel," if you will, the fuller implications of my reaction. Well, to put it bluntly, I realized I would be, based on my own fallible emotion, actively condemning all victims of the many forms of evil to their final moments of misery -- the last goodbye from a cruel and careless universe -- thus refusing them the possibility of what we all long for in our deepest recesses: being, bliss, and awareness (in Eastern terms); or peace, joy, and love (in Western terms); the Beatific Vision. And who am I to do that? Paul wrote "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Romans 8:18). So unless I have an eternal perspective, then I, in the words of Lewis, "...imply a materialist ethic, a belief that death and pain are the greatest evils." But even during the regular, untroubled, smooth points in life the greatest evil I can think of is not death and pain, but the idea that the thing we all desire most does not exist. And the greatest thing I have to rely on -- even amidst the ecstatic experiences of God had by countless men and women in various times and places (for who's to say God will reward us eternally with such an experience?) -- is the promise, the verification of history in the lived reality, the actuality, of Jesus Christ; the promise of his words, the certainty in his deeds.

God bless,

Jesse

P.S. If you don't find that helpful then please disregard it, it is merely my experience and perhaps it may help someone...
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » October 30th, 2006, 1:10 am

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby hana » November 1st, 2006, 2:54 am

Hi,

Some of the things I've learned from problems since childhood with recurring depression/unbelief:

Surround yourself with other Christians when you're at your low points.
Distract yourself with physical work.
Go out of your way to do something kind and tangible for someone.
Go for a hard run/bike ride.

The above may sound like shallow advice that doesn't address the problem, but these activities help you think more clearly at the least.

hana
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 5th, 2006, 3:38 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby JasoninMemphis » November 15th, 2006, 4:18 am

JasoninMemphis
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » November 21st, 2006, 12:09 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy