This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Thoughts on Giving?

Thoughts on Giving?

Postby hana » October 27th, 2006, 2:31 am

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 27th, 2006, 3:24 am

Hana, I went through similar questioning and I finally arrived at these guidelines for myself:

1. I give to organizations that I know will use the money well. Since I cannot know this about organizations which solicit entirely by telephone, I no longer respond to their appeals. (I never succeeded in getting any of those that called me to send written materials describing the group's programs and finances.}

2. I give to individuals when I am at least fairly sure that my gift will not do them harm.

John
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 27th, 2006, 11:51 am

We have a policy in our house of not responding to telephone solicitations, even if the organization is legit and well-run. We have chosen a few organizations to which we give regularly.

When on the streets downtown, I give small amounts of cash to people who ask, following the advice of the director of a local Christian street ministry. If someone who was obviously drunk or otherwise impaired asked for money (hasn't happened yet in over 25 years in the city), I 'm not sure what I would do. Common sense would suggest that they would be harming themselves further with the money, but then again, they too have to eat.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 27th, 2006, 11:58 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » October 27th, 2006, 2:29 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 27th, 2006, 4:24 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 27th, 2006, 4:58 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » October 27th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby A#minor » October 28th, 2006, 2:00 am

Just some thoughts...

I'm not sure where in the Bible it says that Christ commands us to give "abundantly". I don't think I've heard that before.

The verse by which I judge my giving is 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity; for God loveth a cheerful giver."

It's not about how much you give; it's about how (with what attitude) you give.
Here's a commentary by Tasker...
"Giving must be free and deliberate, not compulsory or casual. Each man must give as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly, i.e. not reluctant that he has to part with so much; or of necessity, i.e. not having as his main motive the consideration of what others will think about him if he refrains from giving.
Both of these unworthy thoughts rob charity of its loveliness and it's joy. "

It sounds to me like maybe you've lost some of the joy of giving, but possibly not for the reasons listed above. I can tell that you have a lot of compassion for people, but there is a balance to how much you can give before you have to start taking.

Just remember that you have to take care of your family first.
I Timothy 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel."

In Acts some of the Christians sold their homes and gave all the money to the poor, but some others didn't do that. They were no less blessed because they could not afford to give.
The only times that someone in the Bible is condemned for not giving is when they have plenty to spare, but refuse to give.

Sometimes you just have to say no to people who ask for things from you. If you feel that God is telling you to give, then you should obey. But if you don't think that God is leading you that way, then say a polite no.

Now I'm rambling so I'm going to shut up...
:blush:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy