This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The God Delusion

No votes
100%

Total votes : 9

The God Delusion

Postby Ucarindo » November 23rd, 2006, 4:56 pm

"Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance" - GK Chesterton
Ucarindo
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » November 23rd, 2006, 6:27 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Ucarindo » November 23rd, 2006, 7:52 pm

Yeah, I read Eagleton's review and found it quite good. For those interested, the whole review can be found here:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n20/eagl01_.html
"Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance" - GK Chesterton
Ucarindo
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » November 24th, 2006, 5:31 am

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » November 24th, 2006, 9:16 am

What struck me of Dawkins is that he reminds me of some fundementalist Christian tele evangelists, only he's atheist. He's so uncompromising in his view that he addmittedly refuses to sea the Christian's side of the story. He admits that he seas theology as a non-issue and wouldn't even address it, which puts him on a severely low level in the circles of atheistic philosophers like Camus, Satre, Ayn Rand (who personally saw St Thomas Aquinas as one of the two greatest philosophers) and Anthony Flew who all studied Christian theology and rejected it for whatever reasons they had. Dawkins on the other hand is pretty much putting his hands over his ears and saying "I'm not listening! I don't want to listen! I'm rational!"

Here is another in-depth critique of the book by Marilynne Robinson originally published in a magazine called Harpers. She's an author I don't really know, but it's makes a few interesting points. I'm not sure if she's a Christian, even. It is a long reply though.

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Re: The God Delusion

Postby Kolbitar » November 24th, 2006, 11:43 am

I didn't read it but two weeks ago I saw a lecture he gave -- I only caught the question and answer portion though -- on C-SPAN about it. I composed a response to some of his material, actually, but I can't find his e-mail address anywhere. If anyone can help in this regard I would like to send it to him -- I think I'm going to post it in the Wardrobe anyway...

BTW, when he spoke about the prevailing misunderstanding about chance, randomness, and natural selection in evolution I was spell bound... I am, I think I've said before, agnostic on the matter of evolution (though I strongly tend toward it); Dawkins almost persuades me...

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Ucarindo » November 24th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Ucarindo
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 24th, 2006, 1:19 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » November 24th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian