This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Screwed up depiction of the Wardrobe???

Please don't close the door behind you.

Screwed up depiction of the Wardrobe???

Postby TnWlkr8 » October 4th, 2005, 1:05 am

TnWlkr8

re: Screwed up depiction of the Wardrobe???

Postby A#minor » October 4th, 2005, 1:46 am

The Pauline Baynes illustrations show a mirror on both doors. At least it kind of looks like it; or that might just be lines to show the sunlight. Can't tell.
Very disturbing to fing that nobody thinks of things like that.

Do you know Baynes did the same thing with drawing Talking Mice in MN at Frank's coronation? And there were no Talking Mice until LWW when they freed Aslan from his bonds! :/
If only people would make a little effort to be accurate.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby hana » October 4th, 2005, 4:57 am

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » October 4th, 2005, 11:04 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 16th, 2005, 10:11 pm

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » October 17th, 2005, 1:57 pm

People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 7th, 2006, 4:30 am

Found this article recently about in the Lewis household that may have inspired the Narnian wardrobe entrance. I wonder which one of these real wardrobes looks more like the wardrobe the Pevensies found.
The movie seems to lean towards the first, while Pauline Baynes' illustrations lean more towards the second wardrobe.
Has anyone ever seen these wardrobes in person?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Screwed up depiction of the Wardrobe???

Postby Esther » January 7th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 7th, 2006, 11:03 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » January 8th, 2006, 2:51 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 8th, 2006, 3:38 am

[I know we are talking about Pauline Baynes's illustrations here rather that Jack's scripts but I presume that Jack vetted or had the opportunity to vet all the illustrations before they were published. I have another one for you. In "The Horse and His Boy" Bree instructs Shasta not to use his reins whereas Pauline's sketch clearly shows the reins being used.}

Here's another one: In The Last Battle, you will see an illustration of Reepicheep greeting the children as they make their way into Aslan's land. In the drawing he is wearing a sword. In Voyage of the Dawn Treader before he enters Aslan's land he throws his sword away and says, "I won't be needing this anymore." I love Pauline's illustrations and we can excuse her for little lapses like this.

My very favorite picture by her is the one of Jill Pole running away from the Giants' castle, holding up her long robe so she won't trip. The drawing captures motion so well you almost think it could start moving. And, of course, Jill is my favorite character out of the books.

DWL
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia