This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Least favorite Narnia book?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Which is your least favorite Narnia book?

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2%
Prince Caspian
15%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
2%
The Silver Chair
10%
The Horse and His Boy
20%
The Magician's Nephew
10%
The Last Battle
20%
I love them all and can't even begin to decide on a least favorite.
22%
I'm not a big Narnia fan.
No votes

Total votes : 41

Least favorite Narnia book?

Postby throughlkglass » June 6th, 2005, 3:11 am

I was reading Roger Lanceyln Green today, and was surprised to see him rate Prince Caspian as the least popular Narnian book. Would you agree with his rating? Taking into account that most of you (and certainly I) love all the Narnia books, which one is your least favorite and why? (Feel free to say your favorite as well).

Here's Green's quote:

"Judged simply as stories, for 'holding value', The Horse and His Boy seems to be the most popular (perhaps also as combining in a completely novel way many of the delights of the 'pony book'), with The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew as good seconds. Prince Caspian appears to be the least popular, largely on account of the construction which prevents the story getting under way for a third of the book" (Green, C.S. Lewis: A Walck Monograph, 60)
throughlkglass
Wardrobian

Re: Least favorite Narnia book?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » June 6th, 2005, 4:11 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 6th, 2005, 7:01 am

I'm going to guess that most people, if they choose a least favorite book, will choose The Horse and His Boy. Over the years that I've been involved in this project, that is the one book that keeps coming up in conversation. I must disagree, however. It is one of my favorites.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 7:19 am

I didn't like Horse and His Boy. It's not as good as the other Narnia books. It has some interesting elements in it but should I read all the books again then I'd probably skip it.

Postby Alan » June 6th, 2005, 8:20 am

I have huge problems with Horse and His Boy.

Prince Caspian on the other hand I find enchanting.

I have a feeling that Roger Lanceyln Green is not talking about a British audience in his speculation. I mean really - Prince Corin spends all of his formative years with a Calorman fisherman but still manages to speak as if he's been enclosed within the grounds of a minor public school in Berkshire all his life - 0/10 for credibility 10/10 for class snobbery.
This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 8:34 am

Postby carol » June 6th, 2005, 10:43 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » June 6th, 2005, 2:50 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby journey » June 6th, 2005, 5:26 pm

i don't dislike any of them, and i do like the way that The Horse and His Boy kind of backtrack and covers two stories at once, but (in my opinion) it dosen't have the same emotional impact that the others do. On the other hand Prince Caspian is probably my favorite book out of the bunch.
journey
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » June 6th, 2005, 8:15 pm

The Magician's Nephew is definitely my least favorite. I've never made it through that one, which is quite strange. I always get caught in the chapter where one of the queens comes to life, get really bored with the story line and set the book down, disinterested.
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » June 6th, 2005, 8:24 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » June 6th, 2005, 10:32 pm

I'm surprised at the response - The Horse and His Boy was my favorite, growing up.

My least favorite is The Magician's Nephew. It was always a bit strange to me and I didn't like the mix of worlds and magic.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » June 6th, 2005, 10:38 pm

This is verrrrry interesting. The Horse and His Boy seems to be coming up as either the least favorite or the most favorite. Anybody want to venture a guess what that means? :/
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby throughlkglass » June 7th, 2005, 12:17 am

Yes, I must say I was a bit surprised too. My favorite Narnia book changes from time to time, but most often my favorite is The Horse and His Boy. I love Aravis, find Lasaraleen outrageously funny, and have always liked Bree and Hwin. I also am a sucker for prophecies that come true no matter what one does to avert them, and I enjoyed all the places the characters travel. (I had never been to a desert or to the sea when I first heard the book; when I visit them now, I think of Narnia). I also enjoy food descriptions and recreating the meals characters eat, and I really liked all the Calormene proverbs/poetry. While the views of Calormene smack somewhat of Orientalism, I don't think that I've ever gotten the feeling that the Calormene people are considered inferior. And if Shasta speaks properly, so does Arsheesh, his fisherman foster-father. Shasta's attempt at "what he thought very grand and stiff manners" was enough verisimulitude for me, . . . "but as a fisherman's hut is not usually a good place for learning grand manners, the result was dreadful" (32). (And when I first heard the stories, I did not know what dialects and accents were).

Depending on the year though, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and occasionally The Last Battle vie for the spot of the favorite.
throughlkglass
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 7th, 2005, 1:26 am

My favorite is definitely Horse and His Boy! I can't believe some people don't like it!
Well, my least favorite is Last Battle. It's too sad and depressing all through, b/c it's a hopeless cause trying to save a Narnia that refuses to be saved; until Aslan comes along and everyone dies.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia