This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I saw Narnia! *spoilers ahead*

Please don't close the door behind you.

I saw Narnia! *spoilers ahead*

Postby Summer » December 9th, 2005, 5:29 pm

Well, I know we're all itching to talk about the movie (at least I am!).

If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, turn back now!

I was really pleased with the movie. I still think the book has a stronger emotional impact, but the movie seemed to catch just the right balance. They didn't ruin the Professor or make Aslan too small, or focus on the battle overmuch, or do any of the things everyone was so worried about.

I do hope they clean up a couple of the special effects for the dvd. Some of the animals (like Fox) still looked a bit...un-foxy. You know?
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

re: I saw Narnia! *spoilers ahead*

Postby Robin » December 9th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Robin
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 9th, 2005, 6:16 pm

So we can talk about it now? I'll add a few comments with possibly more to add later on as discussion develops. But if you haven't seen it yet, PLEASE do heed the spoiler alert in the subject line.

I, confessing to be known as the resident LotR movie hater, was surprisingly very pleased with the movie. I have to admit that it won me over early on -- or at least I found that it boded well -- when we got to see that they actually DID put the bluebottle into the movie, though it wasn't quite dead:-)

I was very impressed with the casting all round. Everyone looked pretty much "just like they ought to" and yet with some unexpected twists. I'm not sure what I thought of the initial attempt to "flesh out" Edmund's nastiness by tossing in the reference to his missing his father -- it didn't quite seem to go anywhere, but it didn't get in the way either. In any case, he seemed like a "real" boy gone wrong and not simply a cut-out "bad guy who finally realizes the error of his ways".

Jadis was wonderful. I'm glad they didn't go over the top with her and do the "shrill" thing. Even apart from her being an evil character, I loved her battle scenes -- very Eowyn-ish (or more how she could have been) in a way. I thought it was a particularly inspired "extra-textual" addition to have her wear the cuttings from Aslan's mane in the battle as a sort of pseudo-Aslan ("anti-Aslan?) after killing him -- it hearkens forward a bit, I think, to the "Tashlan" merging attempt by the Calormenes and Ginger in the Last Battle.

In another fascinating "hint" of what is to come in The Last Battle, I found it particularly chilling to hear, after Susan's proclamation of "Impossible" upon entering Narnia, Jadis near the end during the battle also saying "Impossible" when seeing the resurrected Aslan. The parallel seemed unmistakable to me, especially given the other foreboding hints of Susan's eventual turning away in the Last Battle (eg Lucy's "became boring" comment to her), but perhaps others would see it differently?

As I said, the casting and characterization were terrific, and I particularly enjoyed the very respectful and noble portrayal of Father Christmas -- very well done! And professor Kirk was well portrayed by Broadbent, almost unrecognizable, which is amazing since, though we love him as an actor, he is otherwise always so clearly Broadbentian in every other role we see him in.

And, with a very few exceptions, the changes, deletions, and additions to the story were well handled and quite well within in the spirit of the story I think. I did miss not seeing the sewing machine request by Mrs Beaver, and the tree-spirit bit seemed more or less "tossed in" because of a "heck, this is such a good special effect and we just have to use it somewhere in the movie" attitude. But the additional humourous lines added in here and there were done charmingly without resorting to "in-joking" between the director and the audience in a sort of superior and condescending "we know better" tone that many movies fall prey to.

(In a moment of Stanley-mischievousness, I couldn't help thinking of and waiting for one of the children or other characters to try touching their tongue to the frozen lamppost and getting stuck:-)

There was an audible gasp by most of the young teenage girls in the theatre when the grown-up Peter came into view riding his horse at the end. Trying to supplant Viggo and Orlando?:-)

The ending scene midway into the credits was nicely done and a lesson for all those people who can't wait to escape from the theatre the moment the credits start rolling. I could have done without the "songs" that seem to be de rigueur during the credits of all big movies these days, but they were pleasant enough I suppose.

By the way, was the audience in the shows that any of you were at as disrespectful as the one we were at? It was atrocious where we saw the movie. I wanted access to buttons I could push that would be connected to wires that would administer electric shocks in the chairs of all those kids who thought they were being so clever and naughty (and repetitious). Oh well.

perhaps more later,
--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Robin » December 9th, 2005, 6:30 pm

The audience was very respectful and awed. Not many kids as it was at midnight. I did not like the reference to Edmund's dad too and the dryads, as I remember Dryads were supposed to look like the essence of the trees, I always imagined them to be like the walking trees you might see in a theme park (women dressed like trees who looked like trees one moment and a woman the next).
Robin
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » December 9th, 2005, 6:50 pm

But the trees could send out their, umm...human side (The Last Battle). I always pictured them a bit more willowy, but I'll live.

My friends were being retarded throughout the previews (clapping for each one and cheering as if it was the movie), and right when the movie started (this is Harry Potter, right?) but I threatened all of them within an inch of their life and they settled down immediately. Most of the audience consisted of Christians from the university, so we all knew each other, just about. They were very respectful.

Yeah, the beavers had just the right relationship. Very funny jokes between all of them.

I do wish they'd shown the other lion from Jadis' castle. I always liked him.
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
Summer
Wardrobian

Re: re: I saw Narnia! *spoilers ahead*

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 9th, 2005, 6:58 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby chambermusic » December 9th, 2005, 8:38 pm

chambermusic

Postby carol » December 9th, 2005, 8:41 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 9th, 2005, 9:16 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 9th, 2005, 9:37 pm

She and I just got back from seeing it. We both loved the movie. We had a snow day at all the public schools in the area, then it turned sunny and warm, so vast numbers of young people turned up at the mall. The audience we saw it with was about 80% young folks, toddlers to teens, my guess of an average age would be about 12. They were all completely silent during the movie, and completely still. I was astonished at how rapt they were. It was so pleasant to hear several 16 year olds in front of us as we left gushing about what a great movie it was.

One small addition I enjoyed. After Aslan kills the witch and turns to Peter, he says "It is finished". One of the Seven Last Words. :pleased: Not used in anything like the same circumstances as in John 19, but after the same victory over evil.

Sven

Postby *~L~* » December 9th, 2005, 10:45 pm

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it's the Lord's purpose that prevails"
*~L~*
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » December 9th, 2005, 11:33 pm

Well, hi chambermusic! Make yourself at home. I'm envious you're going to see it again.

Yeah, it would've been nice if they had spent a bit more time with the statues coming to life. And I think they completely understated the joy of Aslan after he rose again. It always seemed like more of a wild romp in the book.

I did like that all the good animals recognized the inherent royalty of the children. It's part of what makes Prince Caspian such a shock, when the children come back and have to prove their right to the throne.

I will also admit to giggling a little when Peter was dubbed "Peter the Magnificient". I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with overexposure to cheesy magicians.
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 10th, 2005, 1:21 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 10th, 2005, 1:31 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby chambermusic » December 10th, 2005, 3:15 am

A#minor
hmm...I thought Aslan said "Stay back, this is Peter's fight," or something similar before Peter fights the wolf. I guess I'll have to listen more carefully when I see it again.

Although I absolutely agree with you about Peter's character; it bothered me as well. For some reason, I don't recall any mention of the children's reluctance to take their part in the battle. Did I miss that in the book? Was there a time when there was a question of the children returning home and leaving Narnia to sort it out for themselves in the book like there was in the movie?
chambermusic

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia