This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Fenris Ulf or Maugrim?

Please don't close the door behind you.

47%
53%

Total votes : 45

Fenris Ulf or Maugrim?

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 30th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

re: Fenris Ulf or Maugrim?

Postby Gabrielle » January 2nd, 2006, 2:34 am

I'll participate in your poll, Edisonbaggins. :)

It doesn't matter to me terribly much what the wolf is called. There're both very good names. But after thinking it over for a couple of minutes, I think I prefer Fenris Ulf, though not a whole lot more.

I chose to set aside the meanings of the two names, and just consider the two names on the basis of how they sound and the kind of mental images they bring up, at least for me.

"Maugrim" is very cruel sounding, very effective. It doesn't sound like a word or a name, just like a low, menacing growl. It is a good name for a beast, kind of mindless, raging creature that lives in a dark cave and only comes out to eat people.

"Fenris Ulf" is evil sounding too, but in a different sort of way. For one, the separation into two names makes the name seem more human, and therefore more rational. I think "Fenris Ulf" sounds more cold and business-like, more supercilious. It is a more fitting name for a Chief of Secret Police than "Maugrim." It has a Gestapo-like ring to it.

Or maybe I'm just on crack. The Chronic of Narnia!
Gabrielle
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 2nd, 2006, 2:53 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby JennaDean » January 2nd, 2006, 6:31 am

Proud Member of the 2456317 club
JennaDean
Wardrobian

Postby Pensfan » January 2nd, 2006, 6:59 am

I chose Fenris Ulf.... mainly cause it was i the version I read as a kid.

That and Fenris to me just sounds like a wolf's name.

;)
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity

Proud Member of the 2456317 Club, with leanings towards The 2453617 Club
Pensfan
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 2nd, 2006, 9:13 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » January 2nd, 2006, 10:29 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 2nd, 2006, 11:36 pm

I prefer Maugrim. Fenris sound like an herb. I did grow up with Fenris though.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby King Peter » January 2nd, 2006, 11:38 pm

I grew up with and have always read the American editions. Thus I voted for Fenris Ulf, but I don't really care too much either way.
"But if the Witch could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards." - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Peter
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » January 2nd, 2006, 11:42 pm

Gotta go for Maugrim. I grew up with that (I read LWW in Swedish at 6, about the first actual book I read by myself :)), and also, being Scandinavian, the Fenris Wolf is a distinct (and different) character to me.
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Elentari » January 3rd, 2006, 9:48 am

Elentari
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » January 3rd, 2006, 1:08 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 9th, 2006, 3:48 am

The first time I read "Fenris Ulf," on my first reading of the Chronicles, I laughed out loud. In the old Nordic mythology, the FENRIS WOLF is a creature who eats the sun when Ragnaronk, the twilight of the gods, the end of the world, comes. I like Maugrim better and voted for it in the survey. "Mau" sounds like "maw," the old word for "mouth," and "grim," suggests that he is a creature with a grim mouth. Very good description of a wolf. If Lewis was the one who suggested the change for the American editions, he must have chuckled when he suggested a version of the Fenris Wolf for the us on the other side of the pond.

I liked the voice of Maugrim in the film. The guy who did it was the actor who plays Bill's brother in "Kill Bill II," who buries the girl alive and is later killed by a snake.

DWL
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » February 12th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I really don't know why thaey changed his name in the frist place but I do like Maugrim better for some resion......
Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » February 13th, 2006, 3:02 am

I grew up reading the American editions and watching the BBC movies, so I was exposed to both. For some reason though, Maugrim is always the name I think of, never Fenris Ulf. I voted for Maugrim for that reason. Plus, it's the original name, and I have a liking for the "unaltered" versions of things.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia