This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Too old to return to Narnia? a mistake?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Too old to return to Narnia? a mistake?

Postby Lirenel » January 9th, 2006, 4:02 am

I just finished rereading the CoN except for Silver Chair and Last Battle, and I had a thought when i was looking at the character ages on narniaweb.

In Prince Caspian, Peter and Susan are told that they can't return to Narnia because they're too old. Narniaweb says that Peter is 14 and Susan 13. Then in VotDT Edmund and Lucy are told they are too old to return to Narnia when Edmund is 12 and Lucy 10. Why is Lucy too old at 10 when Susan at least was able to return at 13?

That wasn't the only thing that puzzled me. In Magician's Nephew, three adults (Uncle Andrew, Frank, and Helen) are brought to Narnia. Not only that, but the Telmarines most likely were adults when they wandered into Narnia.

And lastly, Eustace and Jill are said to be 16 during the Last Battle! That's much older than Peter when he was told he couldn't come back!

Does Lewis ever explain this anywhere? Not to question the master, but this has been bugging me for awhile and I would love to hear what others think.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

re: Too old to return to Narnia? a mistake?

Postby A#minor » January 9th, 2006, 5:27 am

I'm sure that Aslan, in His omniscience, knew when the children would need to focus on their "real" lives on our planet, and make new friends and learn and develop relationships, and get to know Him in this world, etc...

I think that Eustace and Jill were allowed into Narnia at such an advanced age, b/c they needed more help than the others. Experiment House was a disaster and left them with emotional scars, and insecurities, etc....
Being in Narnia and around Aslan helps them to work through that and become stronger people.

As for Uncle Andrew, he got into Narnia by his own magic with the rings, therefore Aslan is not responsible for that.
And as for King Frank and his wife, they stayed in Narnia, and Aslan's omniscience came into play there too.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 9th, 2006, 5:31 am

Funny, isn't it? and yet we accept it!

Perhaps Lucy and Edmund learned faster, and had therefore got to the point where they no longer needed to come back to Narnia (to get to know Aslan as he is in their own world), even though they were younger than Peter and Susan had been, when they got the same message.

By the time Eustace and Jill came back, in TLB, they were about to go to Aslan's country anyway - the last day/s of Narnia evidently had slightly different rules.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 9th, 2006, 6:06 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » January 9th, 2006, 6:49 am

Further up and further in, Messenger!
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 9th, 2006, 6:54 am

tee hee :grin: ;)
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » January 9th, 2006, 11:16 am

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 9th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » January 9th, 2006, 5:06 pm

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » January 9th, 2006, 7:53 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Re: re: Too old to return to Narnia? a mistake?

Postby King Edmund » January 10th, 2006, 2:40 am

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 10th, 2006, 7:06 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 10th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » January 11th, 2006, 3:07 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Re: re: Too old to return to Narnia? a mistake?

Postby Pete » January 11th, 2006, 3:18 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia