This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tilda Talks

Please don't close the door behind you.

Tilda Talks

Postby Mornamoice » May 9th, 2006, 8:17 pm

I thought you might all be interested in the following article. I'm very interested in hearing reactions to it.

Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

re: Tilda Talks

Postby bekados » May 9th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Diamonds on the soles of my shoes...

No harm in him: only needs a smack or so.
C.S. Lewis' first impression of Tolkien
bekados
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 9th, 2006, 9:02 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 9th, 2006, 9:04 pm

That's quite a different angle on the talk by Tilda that is being discussed on Narniaweb. The original article in The Scotsman:

The discussion:

[/url]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 9th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Yeah, I was a little confused by what exactly she meant. :??:
Did she like the Christian themes or she didn't?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 9th, 2006, 10:10 pm

David
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » May 10th, 2006, 2:48 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 10th, 2006, 5:55 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 10th, 2006, 10:27 am

David
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 10th, 2006, 5:18 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Cuinn » May 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm

I would agree in regards to Tilda's acting: she played a very excellent Jadis. I disagree with all that she's saying, but, like Ian McKellan, I really enjoy their acting talents.

Lewis wasn't 'anti-religion', or even 'anti-dogma', and certainly wouldn't say that true religion is best left to interpretation! Interpretation leads away from absolution, and Lewis seemed very much to be an Absolutionist. God is Absolute Truth, and one can never interpret Absolution into their own mindset; they need to conform themselves to Absolution.

I think you can find most of that in The Problem of Pain as well as Mere Christianity.
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Cuinn
Wardrobian

Postby WalkingEagle » May 10th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Tilda Swinton is a Scorpio and 9 out of 10 times you are not going to like what she says.

Anyway, she's an actress and a very keen one. She understands her characters along with all the protagonists and antagonists of the stories she's in.
C.S. Lewis just knew that the entire world has fallen down the rabbit hole. How deep? No one WANTS to know.
WalkingEagle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 10th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Tilda is a good example of why it was ridiculous for some people to say that all the cast and crew needed to be Christian to do a proper job of the film! As Adamson and Gresham both said, the film was not intended to give a
Christian message; it was the film of the book, and you can take what you like from the story and its themes.
There have always been plenty of people who loved the book for its story alone, and this now carries over for the film audiences.
If I played a part that some people saw religious significance in, and I did not, then I think I'd probably give my opinion in interviews too! And if some of those people loudly insisted that their opinion was the only right one, I might respond! :)
carol
Wardrobian

Re: re: Tilda Talks

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » May 11th, 2006, 6:18 am

I'd second what Carol said, and in addition I'd remind you, Stanley, the film is an interpretation of the book not so much a word-for-word retelling as the BBC production was.

Something that really stinks though (IMO), is not the fact that it's not intended to be a Christian movie, nor that many/most of those who were involved weren't/aren't Christian, nor even of the fact that the book is not a "Christian book" because in some ways I very much agree with that, but what I have an issue with is the segregation of the so called "Christian Right" by other Christians and other people involved in the movie in general. No, this movie isn't "The Passion of the Christ for kids" and to take that view is unrealistic and perhaps superficial - but I've never come across any Christian who has that view. But at the same time Lewis was a Christian author and to deny the influence of his faith on the books is also (IMO) innaccurate.

By the way, the above comment is in no way a criticism of Tilda's comments - indeed, she seems willing to accept that Lewis's faith did influence his writing in the Chronicles (see the comments on the spirituality in the story). But there does appear to be some who seem to be of the view that that influence of Lewis's faith doesn't exist. :/
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia