This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Maugrim or Fenris Ulf?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: Maugrim or Fenris Ulf?

Postby Aleena » February 11th, 2005, 3:41 am

Knighted Dame Aleena of the order of countdown correctors. Appointed Steward of the Countdown until the King's return.
Standing with Israel, always.
Aleena
Wardrobian

Postby Wixenstyx » February 11th, 2005, 4:24 am

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
And one of the elders saith unto me, "Weep not:
Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed..."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Member of the 2456317 Club
Wixenstyx
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » February 11th, 2005, 4:34 am

[quote="Wixenstyx]
You probably have British copies now, actually. It's the American version that is harder to find. Though presumably Lewis made the changes he did because he felt they were an improvement, Harper Collins now only publishes the British version.[/quote]

I hadn't even thought to look through my new set. The set I grew up reading uses Fenris Ulf, though, I also watched the BBC movies when little, and they use Maugrim, I believe.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 11th, 2005, 4:43 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Aleena » March 14th, 2005, 4:27 am

Knighted Dame Aleena of the order of countdown correctors. Appointed Steward of the Countdown until the King's return.
Standing with Israel, always.
Aleena
Wardrobian

Postby Rhindon » May 9th, 2005, 1:37 pm

Rhindon
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 9th, 2005, 2:08 pm

From the entry DREAMS in the forthcoming fifth edition of my Companion to Narnia (ALL CAPS indicate cross-references to other entries in the book):

It is in VDT, in the experience of the DARK ISLAND, that the subject of dreams becomes most vivid, and Lewis considered this so important that he made several substantial changes in the text between the British and old American editions of the book. After the DAWN TREADER emerges from the darkness, the British edition (now the English edition for the world) says: “And all at once everybody realized that there was nothing to be afraid of and never had been. They blinked their eyes and looked about them.” In the old American editions, Lewis deletes these two sentences entirely, thinking perhaps that he was making too little of the reality of which they were afraid. He replaces these sentences with one long, beautiful simile, one of the finest he ever wrote:

And just as there are moments when simply to lie in bed and see the daylight pouring through your window and to hear the cheerful voice of an early postman or milkman down below and to realize that it was only a dream: it wasn't real, is so heavenly that it was very nearly worth having the nightmare in order to have the joy of waking; so they all felt when they came out of the dark.

This is a major change: Lewis here is highlighting the JOY of waking after a night of FEAR.

The next change comes by way of an omission. Both editions print the expectation the crew has that the ship would be covered with grime and scum. The British edition goes on to say: “And then first one, and then another, began laughing. 'I reckon we've made pretty good fools of ourselves,' said Rynelf.” The old American editions delete both sentences, thereby removing another denigration of the seriousness of night fears.

When Caspian asks what boon Lord RHOOP wishes the KING to grant, the British edition prints:

'Never to bring me back there,' he said. He pointed astern. They all looked. But they saw only bright blue sea and bright blue sky. The Dark Island and the darkness had disappeared forever.
'Why!' cried Lord Rhoop. 'You have destroyed it!'
'I don't think it was us,' said Lucy.

Lewis reconstructs this entirely for the old American editions:

“Never to ask me, nor to let any other ask me, what I have seen during my years on the Dark Island.”
“And easy boon, my Lord,” answered Caspian, and added with a shudder, “Ask you: I should think not. I would give all my treasure not to hear it.”

This is perhaps the greatest difference between the editions. The British edition says that our Dark Islands in life can be destroyed; the old American editions are much more real in their assessments.

Finally the old American editions, having deleted the destruction of the Dark Island, add a parting note about the experience. Both editions print the sentence: “So all afternoon with great joy they sailed south-east with a fair wind.” To this the American editions add the independent clause: “and the hump of darkness grew smaller and smaller astern.”
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby mithlan » December 30th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Two tickets to this execution is like getting two seats, right up front, at NASCAR....and you know Jeff Gordon's gonna die.

~Deputy Junior, Reno Sherriff's Dept.
mithlan

Postby Sven » December 30th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

re: Maugrim or Fenris Ulf?

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 30th, 2005, 10:58 pm

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Re: re: Maugrim or Fenris Ulf?

Postby wood-maid » January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 2nd, 2006, 11:52 pm

I like the name even more now. Thanks
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Re: re: Maugrim or Fenris Ulf?

Postby carol » January 3rd, 2006, 10:42 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » January 7th, 2006, 12:52 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 7th, 2006, 2:17 am

Esther
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia