This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: re: Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby john » December 19th, 2005, 10:39 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

re: Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 19th, 2005, 11:14 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 20th, 2005, 3:11 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 20th, 2005, 6:52 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » December 21st, 2005, 10:06 am

Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 21st, 2005, 1:21 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Tuirgin » December 21st, 2005, 6:18 pm

I have to admit my own feelings about the movie are rather dimmer than most others's seem to be. I made out a list of things I liked and disliked for a list that I am on, but I won't duplicate that here.

The essence of my criticisms is in the characterizations. As has been pointed out by others in these forums, the film took a modern psychological line in developing the characterizations -- I think this is quite a mistake for Narnia. Doing so robbed LWW of the sort of faerie tale goodness that comes out in Lewis's writings (and perhaps even more so in MacDonald's fantasies).

Two characterizations that I really disliked -- probably more than any others -- were that of Peter, who was portrayed in an emasculated, unwilling hero fashion, and Professor Kirk, who was portrayed as an eccentric and silly old man. No doubt Lewis draws Prof. Kirk as somewhat eccentric, but certainly not silly. There is the weight of a divine logic to him in Lewis -- the same sort of the logic-of-mystery of which Lewis, himself, is such a great exemplar.

Aslan, too, is lacking. He is too small to send tremors through the earth. He seems more a noble beast, Lord of Narnia, and not Lord of Creation. He is regal, rather than divine. The scene with Aslan and the girls is an excellent emotional depiction of the passion of Christ in the garden and the via dolorosa. Aslan asking the girls to touch his mane is extremely powerful, and is the necessary requirement for our fully appreciating the also missing resurrection romp -- it's no surprise that with the former gone, we also miss the latter.

C.S. Lewis is famous -- in my mind, at least -- for surprising one's expectations: the logic of mystery is also the logic of paradox, as Chesterton so well demonstrated. Prof. Kirk's stating of the logic of Lucy's experience in Narnia is drained of impact and becomes little better than a merely childish or perhaps patronizing buttressing of Lucy's fancy -- the type of thing that happens when an adult encourages children to believe in faeries "for real" (or Santa Claus, for that matter, when devoid of the connection to St. Nicholas of Myra). Yes, in the movie Prof. Kirk really believes Lucy, but it plays as an oddity.

Another one of those upturning of expectations is after the battle when Lucy gives a drop of the healing liquid (miracle-working myrh, anyone?) to Edmund. She waits around to see if it will work, but Aslan tells her not to wait, that there are others dying. Lucy becomes cross and says, "Just a minute!" But Aslan drives home the need for her to trust him, and to get on with attending to the others. We want to side with Lucy... until we hear Aslan out, and then we realize, yes, we must have faith, and not only that, but these are the persons who will fill the 4 thrones of the kingdom, and they are duty and honor bound to serve the land above their own needs. This is completely lost in the movie, as the camera hovers over the sentimental moment between the children -- the movie follows our inclinations, and not the loftier ones of Lewis's more perfect Narnia.

The movie covers the actions of LWW, but replaces the Idea of it -- and it is the Idea that drives the actions. Because the Idea is missing, the action is diverted to something lesser, something merely entertaining in a slightly cheap way.

I'm rather rough on films, and no doubt many will think me overly critical. But I don't think that we should be judging Adamson's efforts in a separate category from Tarkovsky, Bergman, Bresson, Kurosawa, etc. I don't buy into the whole "pop art" vs. "high art" dichotomy.

Anyway, here's a review that I think is quite good. The reviewer covers many important things, while liking the movie a good deal better than I did. (I.e. don't ignore the review just because you think I'm a kill-joy. ;) )
To read only children's books, treasure / Only childish thoughts, throw / Grown-up things away / And rise from deep sorrows.
-- Osip Mandelshtam, 1908
Tuirgin
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 21st, 2005, 8:14 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Tuirgin » December 21st, 2005, 8:33 pm

*Tuirgin sighs relief

I'm glad there's someone that doesn't just think I'm a kill-joy critic. I've been on several lists and think I've developed that reputation.

Thing is, I *love* movies. I love books and music, but I'm demanding of them, and am foolish enough to think we should be demanding. Not pettily critical as the critic-stereotype goes, but every reader/viewer should be a critic in the true sense of the word. I really see that as our responsibility.
To read only children's books, treasure / Only childish thoughts, throw / Grown-up things away / And rise from deep sorrows.
-- Osip Mandelshtam, 1908
Tuirgin
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 21st, 2005, 9:00 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 22nd, 2005, 3:28 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 22nd, 2005, 12:45 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 22nd, 2005, 4:39 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Ben » December 29th, 2005, 6:54 am

I know I haven't posted in a while, but there's something I feel is worth mentioning. When Aslan is speaking to Peter in the movie, he says, "There is a deep magic that rules over Narnia...defines right from wrong...". I do agree that not specifically mentioning the "deeper magic" (replacing it instead with the mentioning of a "misinterpreted prophecy" by the witch) changes the dynamic of the story to a certain extent, but, in light of that, I'd have to say that the primary messages Lewis presented in the books ring loud and clear, and, compared to other films based on books, this was likely, the truest to the original I've ever seen. In other words, I feel that SOME of the criticisms quibble a bit much (especially considering the utter disregard of themes in the LotR films). I'm just counting my blessings ! :-)
"Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world"

"Their heads are no bigger than the ordinary: it is the atrophy of the chest beneath that makes them seem so"
Ben

Postby charity » December 29th, 2005, 12:38 pm

charity

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia