This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia movie innovations -- likes and dislikes **SPOILERS!**

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: re: Narnia movie innovations -- likes and dislikes **SPO

Postby Edisonbaggins » January 8th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 8th, 2006, 5:09 pm

[A film can never be as good as a great book. and/or enjoyable.[/quote]

Yes, I guess that goes without saying. I've seen a few films that are better than the books they are based on (Fight Club was one) and some that do a good job of translating the theme of the book into the medium of a film. Examples: Message in a Bottle did a great job of summarizing long sections of the book and, I think, made even a little better story than the book itself. Other examples can be found.

David
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

re: Narnia movie innovations -- likes and dislikes **SPOILER

Postby Boyd Britton » January 8th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Boyd Britton
Wardrobian

Postby Jill Pole » January 8th, 2006, 7:04 pm

"Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen in Narnia."

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

My blog:
http://www.ahighcalling.blogspot.com
Jill Pole
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 9th, 2006, 4:06 am

Here's a question: does anyone know how many of the Narnia books will be included in the film series? I would assume The Horse and His Boy won't be because it's a "side" story, not essential to the history of Narnia. I would think The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (my favorite Narnia book) could be elimated from the film sequence for the same reason.

I heard there will be five films.

David
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » January 9th, 2006, 8:11 pm

I don't think anyone knows at this point.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 9th, 2006, 9:56 pm

(I was going to start a separate thread with a subject line of Smell the Glove which is the name of a record album by the rock parody group Spinal Tap, but I decided my message really belonged in this thread, so here is it -- but I still wanted to make of note of my intended subject line:-)

I've recently heard clips from the Narnia movie on the radio, and one of them was the scene where the children first meet Mr. Beaver. Peter has extended his hand and is trying to attract the animal when it suddenly says something like "Well, I ain't gonna smell it if that's what you want".

This was a laugh-out-loud line when I saw it in the theatre, but as I noted on another thread, funny as it was, it seemed somehow out of place in what I consider Lewis' tone in the book, even though Lewis has some equally funny lines of his own for the characters in the books. Somehow this line from the movie seemed more "coarse" than Lewis would have written or something -- I couldn't quite put my finger on it exactly.

After hearing the clip again on the radio, I began thinking about it some more (in connection with some of my other thoughts on the movie that I've expresesd in this forum). First, it certainly has a "resonance" with another scene in the movie where Lucy first meets Tumnus and extends her hand in greeting to shake his, and Tumnus has no idea what to do with it. Again, that is a pleasantly humourous little scene, but has more of the innoncence or whatever it is of Lewis' tone in the books. So that connection between Lucy's and Peter's "beckoning" hands is an aesthetic plus I think.

But the other somewhat distastful aspect of the Peter/Beaver scene is what I was thinking about here. And I think it has to do with the way Lewis normally portrays talking animals in Narnia. Lewis gives the animals human speech and characteristics, but not so much "in place of" their animal characteristics as "in addition to". Thus, in The Last Battle we see the dogs being all excited and slobbery the way dogs are, even though they are talking dogs. When Mr. Beaver makes his sarcastic remark to Peter, the writers are, to my mind, "replacing" an animal "sniffing nature" with sarcasm rather than simply adding sarcasm into Mr. Beaver's character. Now I don't know if beavers are especially prone to sniffing hands the way we associate that activity with dogs sniffing an outstretched hand, but we clearly see it as an "animal" characteristic, and this is what Peter is appealing to when he stretches his hand out. And it is what Peter (and the audience) are shocked (and/or amused) by when the beaver doesn't exhibit this characteristic.

To be sure, Mr. Beaver's reaction is very funny and unexpected, and I laughed heartily at it. But I wonder if it goes somewhat against the spirit of how Lewis would have represented talking animals in Narnia?

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 10th, 2006, 3:33 am

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 10th, 2006, 3:48 am

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » January 10th, 2006, 2:03 pm