This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia vs. Tolkien: Which is better?

Please don't close the door behind you.

re: Narnia vs. Tolkien: Which is better?

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 30th, 2005, 2:29 pm

Did I just get redirected to the forum of a different website... :??:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Re: Am I unique?

Postby A#minor » December 30th, 2005, 5:05 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » December 30th, 2005, 6:24 pm

Last edited by Genie on December 31st, 2005, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » December 30th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Re: Am I unique?

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 30th, 2005, 7:59 pm

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Genevieve » January 3rd, 2006, 9:13 pm

Genevieve

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 4th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Re: re: Narnia vs. Tolkien: Which is better?

Postby A#minor » January 4th, 2006, 9:18 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 6th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Sorry about that I was trying to say this debate will go on to the end of time in my opien. I like C.S.Lewis more then I do Tolkien. I do know why I just do his books drew me in more I guees.

ps sorry for the spelling :blush:
Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Elentari » January 8th, 2006, 10:55 am

I could *never* decide between the two. Like people have said, it's apples and oranges. Both have been part of my life for so, so long that they're inextricable.

And Lewis makes me cry as much as Tolkien. He is uplifting, yes, but oh how I wish *I* was there. End of LWW? Tears. End of PC? More tears. End of VotDT, SC, MN? Tears. End of the Last Battle? FLOODS. (Not so much HHB, but no-one leaves Narnia then...)

Anyhow, it is entirely apples to oranges, IMHO. I adore Tolkien's majesty, but Lewis strikes the same chord for me.
Elentari
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 8th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby David » January 9th, 2006, 3:22 am

I'll chime in on this. I like Lewis better than Tolkien because of their narrative styles. Lewis' narrator is whimsical, funny, and engaging. Tolkien's is somber, serious, humorless.

The narrator, the voice that tells the story, is not to be confused with the author himself. Lewis is not the voice of the Narnia books. He creates a character who tells the story. So with Lord of the Rings. Tolkien is not the one telling the story.

Now of the characters they create, Lewis's narrator is very lighthearted. In fact, he recognizes the "play" in telling the story. He does not try to create the illusion of reality when talking about Narnia and his comments often remind us that it is simply a story he is telling, a verbal construction designed to instruct and delight.

Tolkien, on the other hand, has this somber, serious voice who wants us to take the story very seriously and is not whimsical in any way, shape or form. He expects us to take it as a serious moral parable and in no way attempts to lighten up or tell the story in an engaging manner.

That's where my problem comes: I cannot take a story about about mythical creatures as a serious moral lesson. When hobbits are present I want to laugh, but I cannot take a story about hobbits and elves as representing anything other than entertainment. Now, entertainment can incorporate serious moral lessons, but Tolkien's narrator is too serious and too moralistic in his purposes. I say, after reading for a while, "Come on, this is a story about dwarves and hobbits and elves. Don't expect me to take seriously something made of the stuff of Snow White." But he does.

I notice that in The Hobbit Tolkien's narrator is more like the narrator of the Chronciles. He is funny and enterntaining and speaks with a voice that suggests he is telling a story. But this soon gives way to the somber, serious, mirthless narrator of the Rings saga. I like The Hobbit better.

That's my take on it. But remember the old saying, "There's no accounting for taste." I like what I like for no logical reason and I am not making a value judgment. It is simply a statement of what I like and why.

David
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 9th, 2006, 5:11 am

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 9th, 2006, 7:22 am

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby Genie » January 9th, 2006, 10:20 am

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia