This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Least favorite Narnia book?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Which is your least favorite Narnia book?

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2%
Prince Caspian
15%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
2%
The Silver Chair
10%
The Horse and His Boy
20%
The Magician's Nephew
10%
The Last Battle
20%
I love them all and can't even begin to decide on a least favorite.
22%
I'm not a big Narnia fan.
No votes

Total votes : 41

re: Least favorite Narnia book?

Postby Isabel » November 23rd, 2005, 6:37 pm

They are so different you can hardly say "this is my least favorite".
The one I like less is the magician's nephew because I've been unable (even though I've read it at least 5 times) of getting inside it. It's always just paper and ink, words (no offense, I love words also, that's why I keep reading the book), and that doesn't happen when I'm reading the other ones: they turn into woods, lakes, voices... It's just an imagination problem, I think.
My favorite is, and always will be, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, because of Eustace's transformation and the mention of Aslan taking a lamb form.
Isabel
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » January 7th, 2006, 1:48 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » January 7th, 2006, 3:14 am

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby King Peter » January 8th, 2006, 4:58 am

"But if the Witch could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards." - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Peter
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 29th, 2006, 3:50 am

I'd have to say the opposite. I like Jill and Eustace better. The Pevensies are too goody-good. As people have noted on other discussion rooms, Jill is very independent and strong-will, which I like, and Eustace comes out of his old self and turns into a very admirable young man, once he is de-dragoned.

Something else : in The Silver Chair a gnome keeps gloomily saying, "Many come, few return," or something like that. Finally the children say "Will you stop saying that!" I recall something very similar in The Princess Bride. I wonder if they pinched the line from SC (of course, it could just be coincidence).
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: re: Least favorite Narnia book?

Postby wood-maid » January 30th, 2006, 12:52 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » January 30th, 2006, 3:17 am

I loved them all, and find new reasons to love each one when re-read, but my long standing favorites are MN and LB. I loved MN, the way everything started in Narnia, I loved all the magic, all the different worlds; I loved the way the Uncle's magic was so piddly compared to the witches', which in turn was so piddly compared to Aslans, ect. !

And of course, (to me), The LB is the perfect ending/ beggining to the real life, in the real Narnia! I consider it to be the ultimate happy ending, but for Susan. But for everyone who pities Susan should remember, that she is still "alive" in the shadow-lands, so If she wants to, she can still make a choice to be with all the others some day when she dies.
Lara
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » January 30th, 2006, 10:26 am

Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » January 31st, 2006, 5:06 am

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » January 31st, 2006, 6:10 am

Lara
Wardrobian

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » January 31st, 2006, 7:14 am

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » January 31st, 2006, 7:16 pm

Theo
Wardrobian

Re: Least favorite Narnia book?

Postby Edisonbaggins » February 1st, 2006, 1:09 am

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 1st, 2006, 4:00 am

In my own view, I find that somewhat surprising. Several years ago (about 12 years) when I first read the Chronicles, I would have said that The Horse & His Boy was the least favourite (because I couldn't get past the first couple of pages of the first chapter - I used to find it so boring!!!). Quite interesting though, after the first few attempts, I ended up deciding to read past the first couple of pages - it's now one of my favourites!

Now, having read all 7 multiple times, I think I'd have to say, The Magician's Nephew is perhaps the one that I'd find least interesting and least favourite. I love it because it's a vital part of the Narnia story and there's a lot of things I do actually like about it (certain scenes in particular), but on the whole MN is the book I'd say is my least favourite.

Though I would say, out of the BBC productions, PC is dramatized the most boringly - they really did not do that book justice! :(
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 1st, 2006, 5:50 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia