This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Children Wielding Swords!

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: re: Children Wielding Swords!

Postby robsia » February 19th, 2006, 10:16 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » February 19th, 2006, 10:36 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

re: Children Wielding Swords!

Postby robsia » February 19th, 2006, 11:17 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » February 20th, 2006, 4:06 am

Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » February 20th, 2006, 5:08 am

Hi Linda!

I don't think it is the school's responsibility to teach children how to become mature adults. In a lovely, perfect world, families and communities would do that, and school's would only need to reinforce it. I think the biggest problem at my old schools was that parents would send their problem children there to be "fixed", or taught how to behave.

In all honesty, I believe the media has the most influence on children. They are the ones falling down on the job by resorting to ugly stereotypes for nothing more than comic relief. They're the ones that teach all of us that being famous and admired almost certainly includes public scandal. They're the ones that say we can have our 15 minutes of fame if we do some stupid or silly. I cannot think of any major character on any tv show that was actually the type of man I'd want my son to grow up to be. (Although maybe I just don't watch enough tv. ;) )
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » February 20th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Theo
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 20th, 2006, 3:54 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 20th, 2006, 3:58 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » February 20th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 20th, 2006, 9:08 pm

FTR:

man ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mn)
n. pl. men (mn)
1. An adult male human.
2. A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
3. A human or an adult male human belonging to a specific occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: a milkman; a congressman; a freeman.
4. The human race; mankind: man's quest for peace.
5. Zoology. A member of the genus Homo, family Hominidae, order Primates, class Mammalia, characterized by erect posture and an opposable thumb, especially a member of the only extant species, Homo sapiens, distinguished by a highly developed brain, the capacity for abstract reasoning, and the ability to communicate by means of organized speech and record information in a variety of symbolic systems.
6. A male human endowed with qualities, such as strength, considered characteristic of manhood.

Informal.
1. A husband.
2. A male lover or sweetheart.

wom·an ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wmn)
n. pl. wom·en (wmn)
1. An adult female human.
2. Women considered as a group; womankind: “Woman feels the invidious distinctions of sex exactly as the black man does those of color” (Elizabeth Cady Stanton).
3. An adult female human belonging to a specified occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: an Englishwoman; congresswoman; a saleswoman.
4. Feminine quality or aspect; womanliness.
5. A female servant or subordinate.

Informal.
1. A wife.
2. A female lover or sweetheart. See Usage Note at lady. See Usage Note at man. See Usage Note at person.

So, if we go by definition 2 of 'man' then both girls and boys will grow up to be men ;)

I don't see anything about meeting God's expectations though in there before one is defined as a 'man' or a 'woman'. Maybe I missed it.

Do you not really care? Are you not bovvered? I can tell. Your 'not bovvered'-ness shines (probably the wrong word but I ain't bovvered) through your post.

Why are you gibbering about elephants?

And that last was not an insult. I can do insults though - would you like an example? :p Maybe I should PM it though so I don't get banned. I'll think up a really good one for you so you can learn to tell the difference between an insult and a wistful plea.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » February 21st, 2006, 11:03 am

First of all, I’d like to say that I am a person who has read most of Lewis’s works, and wholeheartedly agrees with them, on almost every point. I find his logic darn-near impeccable, and became (Orthodox) Christian because of his work.

Many people have a wide variety of views on this site. Sometimes these views do not agree with what Lewis wrote (which is, as far as I can tell, completely lined up with Scripture and much of the tradition recognized by [at least] the Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Anglican churches). My feeling is that it’s good to try to acquaint oneself as much as possible with what Lewis wrote himself (This is why we are here, n’est ce pas?), and that some people haven’t yet done this.
Lewis did write articles like “Priestesses in the Church?”, much to the dismay of people who believe in modernism – the idea that our time in history is “wiser” and “more progressive” than previous ones. In Lewis’s time other issues, like homosexuality (and other sexual sins), had not acquired even a hint of respectability, so they didn’t come up for him as controversial. In any event, I don’t want to bandy opinions of what “I think” based only on my own experience so much as to discuss what Lewis said, how it matches up with Scripture and Tradition, and then look at “what I think” in those lights. Just notice how often we say “I think”, and how often we examine our own basis for so thinking.

And that’s the rub. Most of what we think is based on our pitiful 20, 30, 40 or 50 years of experience. We don’t stand a chance against the Father of Lies if that’s all we have to challenge his experience through the millenia. That’s where the Church comes in, with Tradition and Scripture. The thoughts expressed here (ignorance of the spiritual nature of homosexuality, that “progressive” philosophy is somehow better) were unheard of 50 years ago, and the basis of which is designed to reject first Tradition, then ultimately Scripture. This is modernism, which Lewis thoroughly rejected. Help me out, people, where was it that he said that “it is possible to be “progressing” in the wrong direction, and if so, the fastest way to correct it is to turn around”? (I believe it was in MC)

If your philosophy disagrees with that, then I have nothing to say to you. You’d better go read the Gospels, Epistles, and then Lewis and not waste time reading me.

I now turn my attention to those who have read those works.
As he said in “Screwtape Proposes a Toast”, “This where we need the Christian (insert your profession here)”. I am the Christian teacher, and can speak with (some) authority in the field of education. Public schools have successfully brainwashed most people to accept modernism, the absence of absolute truth, etc. I say that as a Christian authority on that issue. If that is true, then many things that we think on an instinctive level must be consciously re-thought, if we really wish to align our life to God’s will, rather than align what we believe with what we want to believe. Issues like men’s/women’s roles and homosexuality are only symptoms of the mindset taught in schools where “diversity”, “tolerance” and “multi-culturalism” are worship words. What is behind all of that is the idea that not God, but I, my ego, should determine who I am and what I have “the right” to do. The sin of Lucifer. Pride. Unfortunately, it is difficult to acknowledge this if we see it in ourselves. I had to get my behind kicked in a men’s group to learn to honor (acknowledge) truths unpleasant for me to stomach, particularly about myself.

If I have said something downright wrong or offensive, please forgive me. I don’t think that I am so smart. But this (education) is an area where I have good reason to think that I know more than the average Joe. (or Jane – oops! There goes some modernism!)
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » February 21st, 2006, 12:31 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 21st, 2006, 1:18 pm

I am in England and I actually do work in a private school (bliss), but I have worked in the public sector also. The biggest reward a teacher can have is to make a difference in someone's life.

Interestingly, private schools do not have to follow the National Curriculum so we don't have to do anything other than what we like. But ours does, with a few additions such as dance and languages in the primary school.

I haven't actually read the Screwtape books but from what I know about mid-20th century schools, a lot has changed.

Schools are not perfect here, far from it. The ideals are good, but you can only work with what you are given. So if your school is a sink school populated by a bunch of little hooligans who don't give a (rude word) whether or not they become 'decent human beings' then there's not much teachers can do. We can only try our best.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » February 21st, 2006, 5:50 pm

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Syren » February 22nd, 2006, 7:46 am

Member of the 2345617 Club
smartsnapsonline.com