This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Harry Potter vs Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby SweetieNookins » December 10th, 2005, 2:33 pm

SweetieNookins

Re: Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby Karen » December 10th, 2005, 2:45 pm

You might find the responses you're looking for in this thread:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2005, 2:49 pm

The differance is that in C of N the only time magic is used is when Aslan (Jesus) himself uses it or he gives another charatcer permission to. All of the magic in that story can be related to grace. Christ Himself freely gives His grace to those that need it and all of the grace comes from Him. In Harry Potter, the characters recieve the power of magic by their own doing. A supreme, eternal Being is not the source of it but rather it can be gained by one' own actions. Magic in any instance is not good. There is no such thing as good magic and bad magic. All magic is bad. But in C of N, the magic CS lewis talks about is really a metaphor of grace bestowed upon or power used by the character of Aslan. And even he recieved this power from his father across the sea (God the Father). God bless you

Re: re: Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby Bill » December 10th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby King Peter » December 10th, 2005, 8:35 pm

"But if the Witch could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards." - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Peter
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 10th, 2005, 11:25 pm

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 10th, 2005, 11:29 pm

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby SweetieNookins » December 11th, 2005, 1:31 am

SweetieNookins

Postby Larry W. » December 11th, 2005, 2:27 am

Magic can exist within a story or as an illusion created by people such as David Copperfield, so I guess it is accurate to say that it is not real in our world. But good magic (such as Narnia's) accomplishes good in a story in a similar way to how miracles work God's will in our world, though of course miracles actually happened and magic does not. What is in the story points to the more significant real thing. I don't think the Harry Potter books do this-- the magic is mostly entertainment and it doesn't go much beyond that. I have read only one-- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone--(though it seemed typical of the series) but I knew that there wasn't the depth of Narnia in it. Probably Harry's magic isn't completely bad, but Narnia's may be a much better tool for moral discretion. After all, Lewis patterned Aslan to be like Christ-- J. K. Rowling didn't create Harry Potter to resemble Jesus in any way. I think one's time is more wisely spent with Narnia.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby EmotionxSickness » December 12th, 2005, 4:00 pm

EmotionxSickness

Postby carol » December 12th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I think it could be said a little better: The Chronicles are intended to attract children to Christ without stating that they are "Christian/church", whereas the Potter stories are part of a large body of dark fantasy stories for children and teens, intended to distract them from considering the sort of spiritual power in Christianity. (not necessarily the actual intention of their authors, but something underlying it - I've read plenty too)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Sickness » December 12th, 2005, 7:02 pm

Sickness
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 12th, 2005, 8:41 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » December 12th, 2005, 10:47 pm

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby simplicity » December 12th, 2005, 10:57 pm

"If not now, when?"

Elijah Wood's ring~ translated from Hebrew to English~
simplicity
Wardrobian