This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Soundtrack

Please don't close the door behind you.

The Soundtrack

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » December 15th, 2005, 3:51 am

Then said Littleheart son of Bronweg: "Alas for Gondolin."
And no one in the Room of Logs spake or moved for a great while.
Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

re: The Soundtrack

Postby hand_carved » December 15th, 2005, 4:10 am

hand_carved
Wardrobian

Postby keavenson » December 15th, 2005, 4:06 pm

My own reaction to seeing the movie and listening to my CD: I enjoyed the music. It was 'lighter' than a Williams or Shore score but that didn't bother me much; the movie was based on a children's fantasy novel. Kinda seems to me that music that was too 'big' or (dare I say it?) bombastic would have been somewhat misplaced. It might even have distracted people into listening to the music rather than watching the film, know what I mean?

Now when it comes to the songs: on a first hearing, I was not impressed by any of them on the Soundtrack. I much prefer some of the songs on the 'Inspired By..." recording. Steven Curtis Chapman's "Remembering You" or Nichole Nordeman's "I Will Believe", for instance. There's a few others I like at least as well but probably wouldn't make it to the Oscar/Golden Globe-nominee category (which Morrisette's has done, I understand.)
keavenson

Postby Mornamoice » December 31st, 2005, 7:48 am

I just got the soundtrack today. I really like it, especially the Narnian Lullaby. As for the songs, I much prefer them to the songs on the "Inspired By" cd, as those are mostly not my style of music (though I like the lyrics).

The one thing that really bothers me on the soundtrack is from Morissette's song "Wunderkind." Having a background in German, I automatically pronounce "Wunderkind" according to German pronunciation rules; I have never heard it pronounced differently. But Morissette mangles it. Is "wonder kind" (with a long i sound) the acceptable pronunciation after all and I'm just a loner following German rules when I say "Voonderkind" (with a short i sound)? Everything else about that song is beautiful, but that pronunciation just makes me cringe.
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 31st, 2005, 10:33 am

I totally dug the music and I'm gonna see the film like ten times just to support it and make more sure that all seven books will get made into films!!! I can't wait for HaHB!!! I wonder how that will hit this rabid-P.C. culture???
Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby kaleidoscopeyes » December 31st, 2005, 8:18 pm

kaleidoscopeyes

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 31st, 2005, 11:31 pm

Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » December 31st, 2005, 11:50 pm

Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 1st, 2006, 4:23 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » January 1st, 2006, 11:34 pm

Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » January 2nd, 2006, 1:57 am

Wunderkind would generally be translated prodigy in English, though "wonder kid" works too. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was, as a child, referred to as a Wunderkind.
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » January 2nd, 2006, 8:24 pm

Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » January 3rd, 2006, 12:36 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 4th, 2006, 5:07 am

I've listened to the soundtrack several times through, and I absolutely love it. Parts of it remind me of LOTR music, but overall it's more...I don't know... hopeful?

That said, I still don't care for Wunderkind or the Winter Light song. But Can't Take it in by Imogen Heap is lovely and the last one, Where is alright too.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » January 9th, 2006, 3:11 am

Last edited by Lirenel on January 12th, 2006, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia