This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The witch's claim on Edmund

Please don't close the door behind you.

The witch's claim on Edmund

Postby Master Orban » December 17th, 2005, 11:05 am

Master Orban

re: The witch's claim on Edmund

Postby Steve » December 17th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 17th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby bingley » December 17th, 2005, 2:52 pm

bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby Zandra » December 17th, 2005, 5:52 pm

My interpretation of the Witch's claim had to do with the notion that, in Narnia, once you were evil, you were always evil. Meaning that they had not established a divine forgiveness.

Understanding that Narnia isn't our world, things don't have to have happened the same way. Narnians don't have original sin around their necks like we do. Instead, they have a place where as long as you do good, you are good and belong to Aslan. If you choose to do evil, you belong to the Witch.

That notion makes clearer why Mr. Tumnus might struggle so much over Lucy's kidnapping. He knew he would belong to her if he did such a thing ("I'm a good faun")

That was how I saw it.
Zandra

Postby hand_carved » December 17th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Yes, it seems like there are a number of inconsistencies in the books following LWW, which is why I think it was an absolutely terrible idea to re-organize the books into chronological order (sorry Doug). If you read in chronological order, there are four books between LWW and TMN, plenty of time to sort of forget those pesky inconsistant details. Read them chronologically, and they're back-to-back. It just DOES NOT work well. It also leaves you wondering, "Why does the WW not know what Edmund is if there are countries of humans surrounding Narnia on both sides, and the WW saw humans at the beginning of the world as well?"
Blog: flatlanderdox.blogspot.com
hand_carved
Wardrobian

Re: re: The witch's claim on Edmund

Postby j0n4th4n » December 17th, 2005, 8:04 pm

j0n4th4n
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » December 17th, 2005, 11:06 pm

Well, was it not Edmund that specifically asked for Turkish Delight?

It's been a while since i read the book but I seem to recall that she asked him what he wanted toi eat adn that;'s what he said.

And, being a Witch and embued with great power, she could then simply have picked the description of Turkish Delight from his head and made it appear by magic.

It wouldn't have mattered WHAT he asked for - whatever it was would have been embued with the magical wossnames that made him go bad.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby j0n4th4n » December 18th, 2005, 12:51 am

j0n4th4n
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 18th, 2005, 5:25 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby oyo » December 18th, 2005, 8:21 am

oyo
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 18th, 2005, 9:25 am

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 18th, 2005, 5:21 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Master Orban » December 18th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Master Orban

Postby john » December 18th, 2005, 5:57 pm

The books are full of inconsistencies, really, and Lewis had wanted to go back and fix some of them...however he died before he had the chance.

*SPOILER ALERT - don't read if you haven't read The Magician's Nephew*

One of the biggest ones is when Jadis said to herself that she had heard of portals to other worlds...when, of course, she had been through one herself. Then, in LWW, it's she who tells Edmund how to get back into his own world, when just before she had asked how it was he got there, but he never said where the wardrobe was. In fact, it was Jadis' actions that brought the lamp-post into existence, so of course she would know.

At least, that's how I remember it. I'm no expert, and I don't have my books handy (just because I run this place doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about). ;)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia