This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tea with Mr Tumnus

Please don't close the door behind you.

Tea with Mr Tumnus

Postby Tiara3Star » January 11th, 2006, 8:32 am

Long after I first read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, the image of Lucy having tea with Mr Tumnus stayed on my mind. It was such a cozy little scene, "And really it was a wonderful tea." One day I decided to recreate it. I got out the book and noted what they ate, to make a shopping list. What I realized when I sat down to eat was that they were eating a lot of toast. Toast with sardines, toast with butter, toast with honey. Sure there's the nice brown egg, lightly boiled, for each of them, and the tea itself, but I wondered, what's up with all the toast? I think I saw or heard an interview with CS Lewis in which he said he had been recalling wartime scarcities, and butter and good bread were some of the things he had missed.

I've always been puzzled by the sugar-topped cake. I don't remember what I bought for my tea, but what is a sugar topped cake? When I first read it I imagined a cake topped with white granulated sugar, or tinted granulated sugar, but if I've ever actually seen a cake like that, I couldn't find anything like it when I went shopping. Did Mr Lewis mean a cake topped with powdered sugar? A frosted cake? A cake with a hard sugar icing? I'd like opinions on this, please.
Tiara3Star

Location: New York, New York - The town so nice they named it twice!

re: Tea with Mr Tumnus

Postby Alan » January 11th, 2006, 8:57 am

You are on the right track Tiara3Star.

Let me try to clear up some factors. Why all the toast ? You are right to view this aspect of the meal in light of rationing. Bread was limited and had to be made to last longer. As bread ages it goes a little hard. One of the ways to disguise the fact that bread is getting stale is to toast it. This was common practice for everyone both in wartime England and also in the postwar years. Most households had at least one good toasting fork by the fireplace for this very purpose right into the early sixties.

As for the sugar topped cake. Again this refers to wartime shortages. You are right to assume that it is a cake topped with granulated sugar. Sugar was one of the most precious commodities and very severely rationed. When making a cake ( it would have been a large round cake as these are the most economical cakes to make ) it was not possible to use the full quantity of either fresh eggs or sugar that a standard recipe would require so other ingredients like porridge oats were substituted. This made the cake a lot heavier than normal as it did not rise nearly as much, but it was very filling. To substitute for the lack of sugar in the mixture the precious supply of sugar was sprinkled lightly and evenly over the top. In the heat of the oven the sugar slowly caramelised giving a crisp sweet topping.
This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 11th, 2006, 3:01 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: Tea with Mr Tumnus

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 11th, 2006, 3:25 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: re: Tea with Mr Tumnus

Postby David Jack » January 11th, 2006, 8:36 pm

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 11th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » January 11th, 2006, 11:17 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 11th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » January 11th, 2006, 11:26 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 11th, 2006, 11:47 pm

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 12th, 2006, 12:18 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » January 12th, 2006, 6:23 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » January 12th, 2006, 7:20 pm

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 12th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby robsia » January 12th, 2006, 7:53 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia