This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Aslan's size in the 'Prince Caspian' movie

Please don't close the door behind you.

Aslan's size in the 'Prince Caspian' movie

Postby glumPuddle » February 21st, 2006, 6:06 am

In a , Bill Westenhofer (who worked on some of the effects in the LWW movie) talked about preparing for the Prince Caspian movie. He said: "Reading the books, there are some evolutions. One of the challenges is that it is described in the text that [Aslan] does increase in size. At one point, he’s referenced as the size of an elephant. So I think that’s where interpretations of the filmmakers are going to come into play and how to pull that off. In this film, he changes size slightly, but I doubt anyone would notice. He’s actually five percent bigger after he comes back to life, but even to start with, he was at the top end of the scale of average lion sizes… So, he is a big lion, even at the start. But yeah, I think that’s going to be one of the challenges... What creative licenses you carry and how believable that is to have that big a character…"

I always thougt Aslan's size was dependant on the beholder. Therefore, his changing size is ultimatley impossible to put on film. But it looks as if they are going to try and do this for the PC film. How do you feel about this?
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

re: Aslan's size in the 'Prince Caspian' movie

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 21st, 2006, 7:53 am

The books seem to say that as the children got older, Aslan became larger. As far as the furure Prince Caspian, I would have to agree with the producers to a degree. They kept Aslan (in LWW) slightly larger than a normal lion. I do think they should increase his size with each movie, although making him the size of an elephant may be a bit on the absurd size for a live-action movie. That big, he would be unbelievable and quite distracting. I think he should top out at 4 or 5 feet at the shoulder--that would be big enough to convey the awesome size of Aslan and justify the dread that many characters have for him, while at the same time, not allowing him to be unbelievable. :pleased:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » February 21st, 2006, 8:10 am

There are smaller breeds of elephants aren't there?
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 22nd, 2006, 1:25 am

Hmmm, perhaps it was a pygmy Forest elephant! :lol:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » February 22nd, 2006, 3:01 am

I think that certain camera movements and shots of Aslan could make him look larger than he is.
I'm reminded of a scene in one of the Little Princess movies, where in Miss Minchin's shots the camera is moving up, therefore making her look smaller; and in the shots of Sara the camera is moving down, making her look taller.
Does that make sense?

Especially since I don't think that Aslan really changes size. He just seems bigger, b/c the children know more about Him.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » February 22nd, 2006, 6:59 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Re: Aslan's size in the 'Prince Caspian' movie

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 22nd, 2006, 10:07 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 3rd, 2006, 5:03 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia